Re: Sad News for Rhiannon

Hi Shannon - just got back up to speed on the web site - really sorry to here about your situation.  As per all the other e-mails I hope it works out in the end and thanks for your advice and help.  Also, (not that this helps much) but I too have a Farrymann and every year I have my mechanic look at it and he assures me that after 26 years its is in good shape and built to last for at least another 26 years. So no concrete advice but at least support.  And if you arev ever in Ottawa and need a sail on a Contessa 26 give me a shout.

Cheers.

Ivan Ross
Morava #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Hi Adrian,

I seem to recall you having a three bladed prop and perhaps slightly larger than my standard issue two bladed espresso foam maker prop which I believe significantly increases the reverse thrust on your Kefi.  I was reading the very same problems with the Cape Dory boats on their forum pages and I found them to be very helpful.  Shannon also gave me a very detailed accounting on how she learned how to back up on Rhiannon so I'll be trying these golden bits of information the next few times out.  The sailing part of Tessa is just a dream come true, by the way and although singlehanding a vessel you've never sailed before is a bit foolish, I never felt insecure or unsafe at any given time.  She did exactly what I wanted her to do and what's more, she made me smile the whole way home.  These yachts like to heel, however, so if you're faint of heart, reef early or just keep your hand on the mainsheet traveller for a quick release if need be but I'm sure everybody already knows that.;-)

By the way, Adrian, you're welcome to sail with me anytime  you can get away one evening during the weekday as I'm sure weekends are reserved for the Alberg 29.

José

Rhiannon has been sold....sniff......however, I am told that the new owner is just as passionate about her, if not more so, than I was...if that could be true....but it just might be.  He is an English fellow, living somewhere in my city of Vancouver...and his dream of owning a Contessa 26 has now come true ...and he and I just had our first e-mail conversation.  He has promised me she will want for nothing, and I believe him.  I also told him what a great group you all are, and that you would welcome him, and of course the boat has never left here, she just changed loves.....

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hi Shannon,

As you said, at least he loves the boat as much as you do if not more and I'm glad to hear that.  You also said something that seems to ring true for Contessa owners and owners to be and that it's a dream to be fulfilled.  I can only speak for myself but it has been a dream of mine to own a Contessa 26 for over 10 years and now that I've found Tessa, I can't really put into words how delighted I am to have her but I can also relate how disappointing it is to lose Rhiannon to say the least.  Perhaps your next CO 26 is just around the corner so don't fret.  Karma has a way of balancing things out.  Stick around and try to keep us Contessa newbies in line.  We really do appreciate your expert advice.

José

Sorry Shannon, she is a very beautiful boat, now in the care of another. Remember when Mrs. Yonker left a little blood on her?  She too sends her condolences.

Yes, I remember Mrs. Yonker taking a major tumble into the cockpit, I couldn't believe my boat tripped her!  Luckily my trusty first aid kit with the waterproof large bandages came to the rescue!  What a chance to be a nurse, and I did not even feel nauseous with all that blood!  (lucky it did not stain the cockpit, Only Kidding!!!)

I am waiting for one of those $5,000 Co26s you all seem to have for sale "out East"!   And I'll make her into another superstar too....

Thanks everyone...(I'm still around, yapping on different topics, not rid of me yet!)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”