Topic: Contessa 26 1977

Either Jeremy Rogers (UK) or J J Taylor (Canada).  Look at your Hull Identification Number (HIN) on the upper starboard edcge of the transom.  If the first three characters are "ZJT"  it's a JJ Taylor.  The last two numbers are the year.

Re: Contessa 26 1977

just purchased a contessa 26 supposedly built in 1973.  i found the boat in ohio so i assumed she was built by JJ Taylor. 

the hull identification placard reads: MDZ 99023048.  its a bronze placard riveted on and may not be original... inside the boat the wooden registration board reads: Of. No. 360274 Reg. Ton 3 32/100

there is a fiberglass headliner on the interior...

from these clues can anyone tell me the builder. hull #, or appox year of my boat?

any help is greatly appreciated.

-cody

"MDZ" is a code issued by the State of Maryland and generally issued to home built boats.  Yours, built before 1973 had no HIN and the State required one for some silly reason. The wooden board appears to be and offici9al number for either Canadian or US "Documented" vessels.  The FRP headliner generally indicated that it is JJT built.

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

thanks for the info and leads!  i'll keep you posted.

-cody

yes i have the dustbin lid and no aft cockpit seat/locker.  so the boat must be JR, right? i wonder how she got over to the US?

also, much of the gear onboard is brittish (winches, hardware) and looks to be the same as on other JR CO26 from the 70's.

does anyone know when JR began using fiberglass headliners? 

thanks
cody

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Can someone help me out who built the 1977 Contessa 26?
Thanks