Topic: Jester Challenge Boat

Just uploaded a snapshot of a 1:12 model of the CO26 we're entering in the 2010 Jester Challenge. She's junk rigged and we'll be modeling the rigging as time permits. This is an accurate 1:12 scale test tank model that we'll be doing some 'backyard' testing with.

Re: Jester Challenge Boat

Bravo on your progress on this project!

It is a very familiar model.  Did you use a modelmaking machine to create it?  You could create a nice sideline just making models for those of us interested in looking at something on our book shelves!

How do you plan to test the model?  For resistance mostly or balance and seakeeping?

Is the mast so far forward because of the Junk Rig?  Or is this just a function of locating the Centre of Effort for the purpose of towing?

She's built completely by hand with a strip planked hull and deck on 1/8" plywood bulkheads and frames. I'm not to worried about resistance since it goes across the 30 foot length of my pool with just a very gentle push. I'm doing some research on testing stability with models but haven't devised any meaningful test yet. The mast is forward for the junk rig.

if someone could come up with a 3d solid model of a half a contessa (pro e part or otherwise) i could machine it out.  that could be kind of neat......

Just had a quicklook for some lines or offsets for the Contessa.If I could find these ,I could make a half model in red cedar and send it on.

Holy cow! Where did those come from?

Thats a lovely boat GWW,but I misunderstood,and thoughta model of the old Contessa was wanted,and it had crossed my mind to do a half model.The lines could work fine (old Contessa)if I could print them off at a usable scale  to make a table of offsets.

As most of you know there were never any plans or lines drawn for the original Contessa 26 since it was a splash from one of Roger's wooden folkboat hulls. The small lines drawing seen on some sites are in no way accurate so don't use those. It happens however that we're in the process of preparing drawings for a 'certified' folkboat for a client and these could probably be used.

The lines aren't much,but for a model at a small scale,how much accuracy is really needed.Was the Rodgers woodie a Nordic folkboat or a derivative such as the Stella.There is a signifigant difference in beam,freeboard and displacement between the twoWhich suggests to me that the Contessa must be a little firmer bilged to carry that extra weight.I see the resembalance,but when I am tied up next to an I.F or folkboat they look much dantier.Just curious.

The fiberglass Contessa 26 molds were made from a cold-molded mahogany folkboat that Rogers used to build which was based upon the British Folkboat which is significantly more robust than the Swedish versions to begin with. In fact the Fiberglass version is even larger than the cold-molded originals from his shop.

I follow now why there are no exact lines,but you could add the skin thickness to the British offsets if they existed.I understand the British boats are I.F.s,so I take it to mean that they are sturdier but with the same lines as the nordic boat,or is it drawn differently.Was the cold molded hull lifted off the british boat,or built from molds as a British boat?I am really curious now,the difference between the half dozen or so derivatives of the Nordic boat.Some of the boats And the Contessa is one might be called folkboat styles as oppossed to types?

Thanks for that;some more blanks filled in.The author is mighty fond of the Contessa.Do you know if the wood Contessa was built from Sadlers lines and was the mold taken off the wood or the glass boat......You might have an opinion on this:I want to add a shoe to support the bottom of the rudder on my boat.I see two possibilities,a metal addition,or glassing a nub on,maybe with a graphite bearing(graphite powder and epoxy).The glass option seems easier and makes no additional holes in the boat.Your feed back on this would be appreciated.

The story from Rogers is that the original 'molds' for the Contessa were made by taking one of the cold-molded boats he built for David Sadler, who was a Folkboat racer, and they cut the transom out. Then the hull sides were wedged out a little giving it a little more beam. The forefoot was made flat to increass the draft and the freeboard was raised about an inch and a half. They built the deck by copying the Invicta while still keeping the profile close to the original boats cabin. How much of that story is accurate is open to debate as from what I've measured they did a lot more tweaking than what they let on to. Changing the draft on the keel alone makes it unlikely that they actually used a completed hull as the plug on the final CO26 design unless this change was already incorporated in the donor boat.

Thanks for the Info.Very interesting stuff.