Topic: Cockpit Stowage

On many boats there are small openings in the walls of the cockpit.  I don't know what they're called.  They look useful.  Questions are: is this a worthwhile modification?  Will it impact the integrity of the boat?

Re: Cockpit Stowage

I have a 1980 and I do not have those cubby holes, but have noticed them on boats after 1983/84.  I can't see it being a sctrutral issue given it is hollow fiberglass - it shouldn't weaken that part of the mould.  I was thinking of doing the same thing - I would think they would make excellent storage pockets for lines, whinch handles, and perhaps even the occasional beverage.

ivanross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I've owned a JJT 76 that had the pockets under the winch bases so it appears as if taylor had more than one deck mold they used.

I've got an '84 with the cubby holes.  I find them VERY useful - throwing sail ties in, winch handles, the lever used to manage the throttle on the engine, etc.

those look the same as mine, hole and all, although I might say my teak trim has a little bit more Cetol on it   ;-)

since I'm curious now, I'll take some pics of the interior "seem" to see if it is integral to the cockpit or if not if it night show how it was fitted

Are you guys having a prayer meeting?

My contessa is so plain it didn't come with anything...not even an interior.  I'm starting to wonder how many other things like cubby holes there are that I could add.  First priority is some sort of storage below.  I have a bare hull from the quarter-berth cusions to the headliner.

No andrew, not a prayer meeting.

That was the day I bought my Contessa. M father and I were inspecting things when that photo was taken.

These oval-shaped cuts in the bulwarks made a great place to install shore power.  It's out of the way and dosen't flood much... also a great way to use up space that otherwise would no be used at all.

josé

10 (edited by Golliwobbler 2008-01-10 10:26:03)

I thought it was a picture of three guys ducking during a gybe - note the shoes on the cockpit seat left behind by the fourth who didn't...

Jose - that's where my shore power is, although it is a bad install - three prong standard instead of true shore power receptacle.  Another thing on The List

And the list goes on... welcome to the club.

jose

My shore power cable was on the port side of the cabin.

Was a proper twist-lock cable, too.

I have the cockpit cubby holes in my 86 Contessa, but  your photo makes me think, I don't have that wooden grate on the floor of the cockpit. Are they still available?
Any ideas on the pros and cons of these grates and where to get them?

The teak grate came with the boat. I don't know if it was a feature of the model year or an extra option or what, but I did love that cockpit grate. Teak has great traction when it gets wet.

On the downside, it did trap all sorts of debris (think snack food, since I was on the boat with three small kids) and that it was a pain to stow when I was working on the engine.

But otherwise, I loved it. If you're handy, I don't see that it would be that difficult to actually make one.