Topic: Engine-induced Radio Noise

I went for my first sail yesterday....ah....sweet....sunny...windy (1 reef)...

Before leaving I did a radio check with the coast guard.  With my engine running they reported a loud whine that made me unintelligible.  I do not hear the whine when receiving.  With the engine off no problem. 

I have a recent (2007) Honda 9.9 outboard with a 6A generator hooked straight to my battery. 

Engine === battery === battery switch === breaker panel === electrical stuff

I'm thinking the source of my problem could be:
- faulty connectors between the engine and the battery
- something wrong with the generator
- something wrong with the radio (not sure what), it's an old West Marine 25watt/5watt
- EMI problem unreleated to the wiring
- antenna connection

I did not do a radio check with the engine running last year so I don't know if the problem was there before.

I'm looking for advice, suggestions.

Re: Engine-induced Radio Noise

I can only approach this from the automobile angle, and suggest that you have a ground loop somewhere. Try grounding the radio with a second ground, see if the whine goes away?

ooohkay....that raises an interesting question.    I've got 12V DC + and -  . I don't have a seperate ground bus for anything.  If I did, what would I ground it to?  I don't think any of my electronics has a seperate ground either.  Am I thinking of "ground" the wrong way, like in a house?

try running a ground directly to the battery terminal, and see if that solves the noise issue.