Topic: Outboard Starting Idea

For those of you who have outboards, you'll know that pull starting something hanging that far over the transom is difficult.  Unless you have the flexibility of a gymnast and the upper body strenght of...well...someone stronger than me the first half of your pull will be weak.  Also you'll almost always pull the cord all the way which puts strain on the springy thing.

I had a spare starter cord.  I made a small loop in the end and put it around the engine's starter cord handle.  In other words, I used one cord to extend the one that is in the engine. 

Now I can stand up straight in the cockpit and give it a good heave.  I then unloop the extension cord and put it away.  Engine starts much easier and I don't have to contort myself.

Re: Outboard Starting Idea

I have a 1986 15hp Evinrude outboard on my fishing skiff that gets cranky when underused.
I got tired of pulling the start rope the other day and found a socket that fit the nut atop the fly wheel of the Evinrude. I found a spade bit (5/8) for a large electric drill that fit the square hole on top of the (7/8) socket. I could then turn the engine up to and above idle speed with the drill - running the flood and goober in the carberator out of it until it started hitting and ran.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!