Topic: Spring Start-up

Well, after a long winter and spring fire season, I finally got up to my boat for the first time. I pulled off the traps and there before me was my Contessa 26 wondering what took me so long! Did I not not know how much clearing she needed inside and out plus there are the repairs I need to start working on. So I looked at the deck and the coal dust from the local power plant was all over the boat, even with the traps on, so I figured the boat needed a good rainstorm before I took on that job.  Thus, I went below and started wipping down everything and thought about what I needed to do just to get her in the water by mid-June at the latest. I did find someone three boats down that will re-stritch my old 110 genoa for me, one job down by days end.

Sadly to say, our Marina did not have a good winter, as a storm pushed Lake Erie higher then piling thus the docks got loose and when the water dropped, the docks ended up on top of the pilings and tore then up. There are docking section all over the marina in a state of repairs.

So, how was everyones spring cleaning going? It has been pretty quiet lately, even from me.
jklee

Re: Spring Start-up

John - sorry to hear the trials.  I've had a forced march (forced March perhaps), as I was late in getting her out of the water in December.  Last out has to be first in in my marina, which meant the list was short, the work hard, and deadlines soon.  Scraped, sanded, bottom painted, washed and waxed in 14 hours over a 2 day period.   She was dropped in the water, I threw the battery into her, checked the diesel to make sure all was right, and prayed for teh best.  Went sailing yesterday - cloudy, very cool day, low chop on the bay with 10 knots gusting to 15 - she moved right along, with GPS pegged at 6 knots most of the time, sometimes jumping up to 6.5 or a bit more.  Got cold and hungry, and since I wasn't really prepped for a long outing, turned back after an hour reach...all in all, about the best start I could've prayed for - even though it was forced on me by the need to get the %$#@! out of the other boats' way so they could launch!

Hi John Lee,
Jobs that start out tough can end up being the most rewarding.
The first time I dropped down into the cabin of a 19 foot wooden boat I just bought, I got very depressed. So I started from the bow aft fixing one problem at a time and five years later I got to the stern, It was for the best because my research and tooling up took a long time too.
I got 17 years of sweet sailing and cruising out of that little darlin'.
I'm glad you got your Contessa. You did a lot of research. It's such an interesting design. If you love a boat, you will spend the time to get her right - and have no guilt about lazy days spent aboard her. You will have paid your dues.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Well, it has been a few weeks since I was last at my boat, but this weekend found me cleaning and polishing the hull and other odds and ends. A couple of thoughts were on my mind that I wanted to ask the group. 1- has anyone used lazy-jacks and if so how did they like them? I have 2+2 battens on my main sail. I am thinking this way as I mainly sail solo and I yet to learn to douse the mail sail without pulling it out of the water. And 2- has any one fitted their battery under the steps and how did they hold it down? I have a good idea of what to do but wondering what others thought. Still hoping for a mid-June launch. I hope everyone has a great weekend. jklee

John - haven't used lazy jacks, but when I take down the main, I release the clutch and do it from the mast.  I have 2 ties handy (in my teeth...) and tie one around the portion closest  to the mast, then a second around the mid-section.  Then jump back into the cockpit to make sure all is still in order around the boat, before going back to get the main in better order and put 2 mores ties on.  Never had it go in the water - is your's lose footed, or not on a track on the mast?

My batteries are below the sole at the foot of the steps with a hatch over them keeping them secure.  Both a full sixe batteries - I'll have to get a pic of the arrangement though....

I do the same thing with the main sail, just that boom is usually over the water, thus the tail end of the sail usually finds the water while I am racing to tie up the forward and mid points of the sail. Once these two ties are secured, I then pull in the boom and tie up the usually wet 1/3 of the sail. I do this via heave-to method, thus the boom is over the water. The mast is in a track while the boom is loose footed.

I have a photo of what I was thinking for the battery set-up. jklee

Well, finally the day came was lifted  off its trailer and touched water. We got the mast up, checked the propeller shaft area that was redone just 2 weeks ago, then turned the key. Okay, 2 out of 3 was a good start. Key initiation to engine failed, so we basically hot-wired it with a screw driver and motored over to my slip where I put the mail sail on and other odds and ends. Thus next weekend, I (and marina worker - Bill - if he is still there as, everyone is quitting lately and Bill is a good worker) have a wiring project before I can finally go sailing this summer. Hey, at least the question have ended, "When you getting your boat in the water." cheers, jklee

I thought I keep this thread for my question. Yesterday on Lake Erie, I had a great time sailing in some fun winds. I got blown down wind so far that I ended up motoring back to port for 2 1/2 hours after sailing 8 hours.  Due to the increasing winds, I ended up having to replace my 130 genoa with my working jib and reefing both points to keep me and the boat happy as she sailed like a charm though the rough waters. My problem comes when I reefed, especially the last reefing point. With a loose foot sail (not physically attached along the boom), the boom would drop lower, as the reefing point, claw, moved further up the boom (see photos in the gallery for examples). It was a pain on being fully reeded, as I had a boom that was as low as my head in rough sea and I am only 5'3" tall! I feel I am doing something wrong but cannot see where as the boom vang was loose (not letting the boom to rise up after reefing). It seem like I need the reefing line to go straight down to a pulley on the boom then to the back of the broom, thus lifting the boom to the claw?  Just a thought, any one else have a thought? jklee

Hi John

I have two pulleys for the two reefing lines and I have a plastic slide foot on the main itself holding it down as well

jose

Jose
Ah . . . . picture by any chance?  I like the sound of what you have but drawing it in my mind is a bit rough plus unsure of what a plastic slide foot is.  Thanks for reply! jklee

Seedler,
Thanks for the info. On your reef points, do you have the reef point go through the pulley then to a cleat to be tied off?  If so, what size cleat did you use? I worked with a system like that on a 22 foot when I sailed with a club. On the pulley, did you use a Micro Block type?  Also, looking at your photo, am I seeing correctly that your tacks on the main reef points have a rope pulling them down? That is one of my problems when reefing is getting the first tack off its hook then getting the second tack connected to the hook.  It looks like you take it directly to the cleat on the mast. My mind is starting to look at this problem in a different way now. Thanks!
jklee
ps. you been sailing this summer or are you someplace in the Pacific Ocean enjoying the stars above?

Seedler,
Nice photo....
How do you like your Monitor? Do you know anything about Cape Horn's or any of the other selfsteer gears?
I'm planning on buying one this year for my refit.

14 (edited by rbporter 2008-08-13 02:37:44)

I am replacing my low hour BUKH with a new two cylinder diesel. I've been looking at the Beta but would like opinions, etc. from others on repowereing and experience with their motors.
Does anyone know anything about the Nanni? Nanni vs Beta?

John - When I first started, I had the reefing lines start near the aft end of the boom, up to the reefing clew point, down to a block on the boom, forward along the boom, through a block, up to the reefing tack point, down to the goose neck, through a ring, down to the deck, through a pulley and back to the cockpit. This created a lot of friction. Later I met Derrick Hatfield in the Azores and he showed me his setup on his Open 40. Thats what I use now. There are 3 short lengths of rope (one for each reef) attached to the mast below the goose neck. The problem with the tack hooks is that only one reef can fit on them at a time and they fall off the hook before you can get the halyard tight. The tack line is hand feed through the reefing tack point and tied to a cleat on the mast below the goose neck. The clew reefing line now starts near the aft end of the boom, up to the reefing clew point, down to a block on the boom, forward along the boom, through a block at the goose neck, down to the deck, through a pulley and back to the cockpit. To reef, you pull up the topping lift, let the halyard down the correct amount, go forward and attach the short reefing line at the tack, back to the cockpit, pull in the clew reefing line and tighten the halyard, release the topping lift. I do not use any of those foot long ties in the sail between the tack and clew. When putting in a second reef, do the same without touching the first one. So when you take out the second reef, the first one is still in place. Since the reefs add on top of each other, it also means that even with 3 reefs all the loose sail is held in by the earlier reefing lines and does not flop around. I noticed that Derrick's new open 60 has the tack reefing lines always through the tack reefing point and the lines lead aft. This is even better since you do not need to go forward at all. My lines are quarter inch which is just enough, but I have ripped the blocks off the boom on several occasions. They are on with 2 one-eighth rivets.

Unfortunately I have been working and only sailing locally. I am still looking forward to a trip to Australia, but it is a few years off. I bought the latest edition of "World Cruising Routes" to help keep the plan alive.

rbporter - I love the monitor. I have 11,000nm on it without any real problems. The cape horn looks a bit flimsy. The main problem I had with the other brands is that they could not be mounted on the center line due to the outboard rudder. I when to the San Fran boat show and talked with all the manufacturers. Some said "No problem, we just put a longer blade on it". Others said, " no you can not use ours. it must be on the center so it is set up the same on each tack."  I did like one that was manufactured here in Ontario, but it was just coming out as I was buying and it had no track record. I knew that the monitor worked on the Contessa.

Seadler - Since my boom has the reefing rope going through the boom, I would have to put a cleat or something on the boom to tie the line to then run it up to the reef clew then down to the boom aft. Basically the opposite of your system. I would have to do this in the offseason. On the tack reef point, I am guessing your tieing off each reef line to cleat on the mast on top of each other? Also guessing the bottom tack point is basically tied permanently to the cleat. If I go to this reefing system I will be buying new lines. Since I am using 3/8 inch rope, which is more then I need, I will look into the 1/4 inch.  Thanks for the info.

rbporter - I have a Cape Horn and like it. If you want more stability, they do give you two long braces to attach windvane to the boat. Since I am on Lake Erie, I have not worry about extra stability right now. What I need to learn is getting my sails balances better so it works better. When you sail solo, it is a pain to set the oar correctly in the water and get the vane set before the boat ends up strainght into the wind. I am still learning. jklee

John - You are correct about my tack reef lines. Since my halyards go aft to the cockpit, the two original cleats on the mast are not used. One end of all three lines are permanently tied to one of the cleats. The line goes up and through the reefing point cringle in the sail and down to the cleat on the other side of the mast. Each reef line just gets tied on top of the previous one.

18 (edited by John Lee 2008-08-17 17:27:11)

Seedler, the post 1983 mast do not have all those extra cleats and I am slowing adding them for this reason. Oh yes, you comment on not tieing up your reef sail, I notices on Tania Aebi boat she had a really easy system that has a rope weaved through the reefing/tie holes that has a hook (see my photo just put up and also see photo "Tania Aebi CW Nov 1987 pg3") between each hole that you attach to the other side rope. I will try it next week when I am at my boat.

bbporter - I have a photo of the cape horn on a small boat that might interest you.  It is from my book, "My old man and the sea - a father and son sail around Cape Horn." They do not show the braces for increase stability. jklee