Topic: winter with a 1GM Yanmar 10 raw water diesel

Hi Kristin;
All I would make sure is that you keep it above freezing.  I would rig a heater in the boat, even one of the really safe ones with the holes in them (round - can't recall the name, I'm not writing this from boat right now) is warm enough...make sure that warm air can get to the engine compartment. I leave my inside cabin engine door off, and the air circulates from cabin into engine compartment. (I leave the cockpit engine hatch on)  Cold air sinks, heat rises, so keep your heater on the floor, middle of boat.  Also put some of the non-toxic antifreeze in the bilge - as the water will freeze there! ( I find some gets down there, even when on the hard! ;-)
You can always put a light bulb (turned on) under engine to warm it...I do that too, like a little incubating light.  Yes, I baby my boat! ;-)
I don't get too cold down here in Vancouver...you have a bit more of a challenge up there! Good luck on the launch!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: winter with a 1GM Yanmar 10 raw water diesel

I have been considering launching my new boat, Tiny Dancer, in the water in Homer, Alaska, which is mild temps but the harbor can freeze at times.  Any advise on engine care when only running it once every week or two? It is now winterized at dry dock, with antifreeze.  Any other winter boat keep advice, when in the water?