Topic: Sail Choice for the atlantic

No, you are not crazy to do the Atlantic in a Contessa 26. I did it in 2002-03. But you may be crazy after you finish if you take two friends. My trip was - Salem, MA to Bermuda to Azores to Portugal to Gibraltar to Madeira to Canarys to Cape Verde to St. Lucia up thru the islands to BVI to Bermuda to New York up the Hudson then the canals, Lake Ontario, the Trent canal to Georgian Bay. The trip covered 11,000nm and 13 months. I did it single handed. Our family used to live abroad on the bay during the summers, but the boat gets VERY small at sea. Try living in a small bathroom heeled over for a week with your friends before setting out.

I had the following sails: DRS, #1 genoa, #2 genoa, working jib, storm jib, loose footed main with 3 reefing points. The third reef worked great and saved the trouble of a try sail. The thrid reef and storm jib are essential. The other "sail" I am glad I had was a sea anchor. It saved my ass in a NE gale in the gulf stream.

Re: Sail Choice for the atlantic

Is the boat Canadian?  If yes what papers did you need?  Did the coast guard require anything of you to leave canadian water?  What safety/comunication equipment did you take?  Im thinking of an SSB radiotelephone and EPIRB or GPIRB.

Wojtek

Yes, the boat and I are both Canadian.
1976, J.J. Taylor, Hull # 161, "Seeadler"
I had the boat trailered from Canada to Salem. Nothing is required by the officials. There were no government / customs problems in any of the countries I visited. My boat is registered rather than licensed like most local boats. I have heard that some countries will not accept local licensing. Some European countries (Madeira) require that you have liability insurance, but are good at looking the other way. Insurance for crossings is getting hard to get for large fully crewed boats. For single handed trips, the insurance people just say no. For single handed boats 25 feet long, they just laugh or stare at you.  Maritime side band is used by most cruisers, but is expensive, takes lots of space and requires lots of power. Instead, I had a shortwave receiver that worked on the same frequencies. I could listen to everything, but could not transmit. That was about 80% as good as the complete two way setup at a fraction of the price. I had an EPIRB but no life raft. Just a small inflatable zodiak. The only other safety gear was a good safety harness, jacklines, radar and a good boat. I did a complete refit before leaving.

Seeadler: I am wanting to do a similar trip on the Pacific Ocean, singlehanded, yes everyone thinks I am crazy, so I don't tell people anymore!  What size sea anchor?  Do you have hank-ons for foresails?  I am going to sew storm sails (have a Sailrite machine) and have 3 reefs already in new, loosefooted fully battened main.  Did you have Kenwood receiver?
What items did you "refit"?  I am very interested....

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Shannon, I got your email regarding your questions on this topic and replied directly to your email since my reply was rather lengthy.

I am pondering about sailing a contessa 26 across the atlantic with two of my friends.  What sail would u suggest for the voyage?  I dont own one yet but looking and about to buy one.  Obviously a main with 3 reefing point, a try sail, storm jib.    What kind of foresails? 160, 135, 100(with reef points)?  Oh and two more thing has anyone of you done the atlantic in a contessa? Am i mad?

Wojtek