Topic: I am thinking of buying a contessa?

I am about to buy a contessa here in ALaska, I am new to sailing but grew up on the water of Prince William sound as a commercial fishing deckhand for many years as a young woman.  The boat is well appointed and has many bells and whisteles including a new deisel engine.  I think the price is quite high though, the current owner is willing to let me pay payment and its in my hometown harbor.  Any thoughts are ideas are appreciated. It sounds like a Contessa is a good fit for a new sailor with a young son. As my skill grows I can leave the Kachamak Bay and head out to the sound and foirds and even the gulf, after a few years any way!  I am open to ideas, thoughts advice ect.

Re: I am thinking of buying a contessa?

Since your up in Alaska and the boat is right there, the cost of transferring it is zero, which is a big plus for you. After my fun in rough waters on Lake Erie this past weekend, only small potatoes to Alaska rough seas, this is a really good boat to learn on. The new deisel engine is also a big plus, most likely lighter then my 25 year old deisel. Just make your you have someone you trust to survey the boat, so you know what your getting.  I was saved when I looked at one boat in Vermont, as I had a great surveyor but paid for a poor survey on my present boat, as I have had to fix a number of things that should have shown up in my survey report.  Anyway, good luck and stay on board with any future question for this group to answer.  We all need help with our little dream boats. jklee