Topic: door to head

I am thinking of making the door to the head a bifold to make it easier to get around it in a hurry.
Has anyone done this?
I see from some pictures that the door has been removed and replaced by a curtain.
Is this really a better option?

Thanks.
John

Re: door to head

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

When I had my door on, it would not lock close or open so would bang open and close depending on the tack or what the waves were doing to the boat. I have plans on doing the curtain but not a top priority.  jklee

Thanks for the replies and the link.
My door is a 1/2 inch plywood panel, no frame. I cut it in half at 11 inches and joined the halves with 2 brass butterfly hinges. I installed a turning latch made from two hardwood blocks 3/4x1/2x3 and a dowel pin with a stop block to keep the door from folding when latched in either position. Works great and eliminates the need to climb into the v-berth to open the door to the head.
John
Contessa 26 #108
Billy Boy (Ceilidh)
Rothesay NB

Tania Aebi, in her book "Maiden Voyage" complained about her teak bifold door on her Contessa banging around in a seaway. She replaced it with a curtain.
I hated my door. I also replaced it with a curtain.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

I removed mine as well... gives it a little more elbow room... still waiting on a curtain... hah hah

jose

I made a curtain for the head for my Contessa. I bought a washable piece of material I liked at the local fabric shop. I sewed a 1" hem across the top, so it would be easy to insert a little 1/4" wide spring across the width of the material. The spring is  the kind which has  each each end  bent  into an open ended hook --(like on an old fashioned screen door) -- you can still buy them at Ace Hardware.  I bought four small cup hooks (with screw-in ends--also at Ace Hdware) and inserted one into each of the four topcorners  of the space between the hanging locker and the stool.  If a person wants privacy they just shift the curtain to a set of cup hooks so that it hangs in a way that puts them out of sight. Out of sound, you might ask? Well, we're talking boats here.  (final note: sew a 6" seam across the bottom of the curtain to avoid raveling and be sure you use enough width to let the curtain gather into pleats ... it's easier since you don't have to be so exact and it looks better I think.
everard

After almost twenty years of the door banging about I removed the hinge pins from it and brought it home.  What a difference -- no banging door and a larger feeling cabin.  Found a nautically themed bath towel at the local thrift shop and using press snaps revetted in the towel and male ends screwed into the frame the forepeak and head have a "curtain" for privacy on demand.

9 (edited by Virago Deb 2009-10-17 11:45:58)

oops, sorry for the double message...thought one got lost in cyber space so came back to delete one and can't and this screen won't let me escape without writing something....

Like so many others I took out the door and have a curtain I hang only when I need it.  I also took a length of 2" webbing with a plastic Fastex snap buckle on it and attached it to the wall behind the toilet.  This makes a "seat belt" of sorts for a bagged sail so the un-used space is now a sail locker when I'm not on the can.