Topic: main sail for sale

I guess my old main is still for sale  - can't seem to connect with earlier interested party.  Anyway, it's the original main from 1985 and was modified to full battens sometime in it's life.  It's a bit baggy for windward work in a breeze but still drives the boat well enough.  Put a reef in and it flattens out quite ok.  It's basically free for the cost of shipping.  I just want it out of my shed.

Re: main sail for sale

ok, I'm game...what do you think shipping to Washington DC might run?

3 (edited by John Lee 2008-12-09 14:50:54)

If you can get her main sail I have an old original (1985) main that is stretched and needs some work to get it back to a proper shape (it needs new battens) that I be happy to give to you and I drive it down to DC just before x-mas as a free present. Sorry Deb, I been wanting to get rid of mine as well, as I keep tripping over it in my back room. jklee

Hey guys

Deb dosen't have access to the web at home... so it may take her a little longer to respond...

jose

I am wondering what would be involved in re-forming old mains to improve performance?  Mine that I still use is fairly stretched as well.  There's a nice older / old style sailmaker down the street who is fairly skilled.  Anyone investigate this before?  I'll give him a call but am thinking you all have already thought this through...

Hi guys,

Thanks for fielding that one Jose!  I'm back on line for a week.  Yes the sail is for sale.  Golliwobbler: When I looked at sending it to the Carolinas it was about $100.00 US door to door by UPS.  I'm guessing it would be about the same to DC.  The only thing I'd suggest is that you look at any extra cross-border charges that might get tacked on unexpectedly (duty at the border etc.)  If you got jklee's main, good for you - if not, let me know and we can work something out.  My old main is in fairly good shape as in no patched rips, no abrasions or fraying, hardware still firmly attached.  As stated before, it's been modified for full battens (one way to breathe new life into an old main), and all the battens are with it.   It worked pretty well - the main reason I got rid (ha ha, no pun intended) of it is because I don't like full battens.

As for helping a baggy main - the only solution I know of is to put full battens in it as was done to Virago's.   For comparisons, my new main was about $1700.00 CDN.