Topic: hanging anchor on the bow

Gotta get all this stuff in while I have a computer....This came with my boat when I bought it, so I can't take credit for it.  Virago has a bow roller on it (good) but a second anchor can be hung on the bow as follows:  A length of sewage size ABS(?) plumbing piping (about 18" of the shiny black stuff about 4" diameter) is attached to one of the upright members of the bow pulpit using really big hose clamps.  An anchor is dropped in it stock first and there you go.  I have a plough in the roller and a bruce in the pipe.  I added a little notch in the top edge of the pipe for the curve of the anchor throat to rest in.  A length of light line can be used to keep the head of the anchor from excessive motion if things are rough.  Anchor is not attached to a rhode (the plow on the roller is!), but is conveniently stored for a second/spare to deploy on my second rhode which has the appropriate shackle already on it and ready to go.

2 (edited by rbporter 2009-01-12 13:27:33)

Re: hanging anchor on the bow

Hey Deb..

How much weight you got up there?

I have the cast stemhead off the boat and while it's off I would to address the angle at which the lines pass through the chocks. The bracket for the bow roller has a sharp edge where the lines go overboard.
I'm not sure if the bow roller is ss or chrome plated steel. If it's ss then there is no problem grinding this edge smooth. If plated then rusting will forever be a problem if I grind.

With the cast stemhead off the boat I going to grind the aluminum forestay tang off and replace with a 316ss plate with a welded tang. This new piece will be screwed to the stemhead casting with the existing four screws.   
These four machine screws screw  into an aluminum plate embedded deep in fiberglass beneath.

Checkout EQUINOX's refit at northernyacht.com