Topic: Late-model JJT26 tankage question

Re: Late-model JJT26 tankage question

Bill,
I have one tank under forepeak, and holding tank below sole in cabin, like Adrian's (I'm hull #318)
My 1985 water tank: 20 Gallons, integral
My 1985 Holding tank: 20 Gallons, integral
1985 Steel Fuel tank:  12 Gallons, removeable.
All mine are vented, all with deck fills. (or in the case of the holding tank, deck un-fills! ;-)

Um...you don't really want your holding tank under the v-berth, do you?! ;-)  It's bad enough all the hoses/sea cocks are there!  (mine on the stbd. side, just forward of head bulkhead.)
However, I am wanting to install a manual pumpout: when I can't get to a pumpout station (and a girl likes her holding tank late at night solo in a strange marina or anchorage!) so I see now that the best place to put manual pump is between hold.tank and deck pumpout...but must tee, or rather, Y it into the overboard seacock...a veritable spaghetti of head hose...so, things to think about...read Don Casey's articles on it...you could always just install an approved treatment system and still be able to go overboard directly, or will that be a no no too sometime soon?!  Or....reverse where your head enters the holding tank, (ie: enter mid-tank, mine enters at forward end.)and have deck pumpout where water infill is....and have water fill aft where deck pumpout is now...if you are already rigged that way with deck plates...make sense?  Then  you can rig a macerator or manual pumpout right out the overboard hose...
Shannon

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Clarification:
My water tank is one large tank, under v-berth, with inspection port.

Holding tank, under sole, almost directly under mast and aft hatch.  Lift floorboard to access inspection port.

Fuel tank is in stbd cockpit locker.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Mine has a built-in tank under the V-berth for the holding tank and no original hard tank for water. Just make sure you use the proper vapor proof tubing. (aka Odor safe) The clear PVC with fiber re-enforcing will let the smell through the tubing. Expensive, but worth it.

In my 1979 the holding tank is under the vee-berth.  I like it there because it is close to all the thru hulls and the head, my longest hose is 5 ft. I think.  You should not have to worry about having waste under the v-berth as long as you used proper hose, I recomend using double hose clamps too and a proper setup (ex. must not forget vent).  I hooked mine up for the first time last fall and no leaks or smell at all.

My water tank is located on the port side under the sink/setee and is not built in but not removable(no holes are big enough to get it out of) and it is about 15 gallons.

Fuel tank is 10 gallons(aluminum) and located in port cockpit locker.  I had it out earlier this year because 25 years of diesel + 25 yrs of condensation = lots of sludge and clogged filters.

Thanks for the info!  This saves me from pouring gallon jugs of water into the inspection ports as I count 1... 2... 3... etc!

I'm considering the v berth tank for the holding tank for precisely the reason Mark mentions - it leaves everything close together (head, tank, discharge thru-hull, deck fitting, etc).  Having it under the v berth shouldn't be a problem if the tank is vented properly - that should be the only point with any odor.  And the tank is integral to the hull, not a bladder that can chafe...

The flip side is that with the water tank forward the galley pump will have an easier job.  As the seals in the pump age it will be more likely to lose its prime when drawing on a keel tank as opposed to a forepeak one.  Less head to overcome.

I'll have to toss this one around a bit.  Anyhow, thanks for the info.  Happy holidays everyone in Contessa-land!

Good day Bill!  On my 1976 the holding tank is under the V-Berth.  The only negative that I have found with this arrangement is that sewage must be pumped 'up-hill' to reach the tank.  Given the way it has been arranged under the berth, it is nearly impossible to completely clear the hose. 

Also, if your boat is like mine then yours is a bit stern-heavy.  Relatively full fresh water tanks in the forepeak would address this nicely.  That being said, fresh water tanks atop the keel would lower the centre of gravity and bring weight closer to the centre of the boat. 

I do not know for certain, but I think that these integral tanks, once contaminated by sewage, can never be cleaned sufficiently to be switched back to fresh water.  (If I am incorrect in this please let me so I can switch mine back this season!)  If you intend to venture off-shore at some point, the second water tank may be more valuable.

I guess that much depends on where you are sailing and what requirements you must meet for overboard discharge.

If your tank is like mine then you should have a space between the forepeak tank and the forward bulkhead.  On my boat this is a locker to port and seacocks to starboard.  Perhaps a flexible tank could be fitted in this space for the occasions when sewage must be held aboard.

Best regards!

Christopher

I have two questions about fuel tanks for Shannon:  which tank model do you have and where is it fitted?

I ask because I am considering fitting a tank in the bilge below the engine.  I still have to check into the safety/legalities of this.  My current tank is an 11 gallon Tempo belowdeck plastic tank mounted in the port cockpit locker.  It has been poorly fitted and I intend to move it once empty (I motor rarely though so this may take a while!).  I believe that the poor fit is because the plywood base on which it sits in the locker was intended for a Vetus tank of similar size. 

Anyway, my idea is to free up the port locker by shifting the tank into some of the dead space occupied by the bilge/engine room.

Thanks!

Christopher

I have one more question on this topic:  how exactly has the keel tank been constructed.  On my 1976 that region of the boat includes the engine seacock, two batteries and a storage locker accessed from the cabin sole.  I am wondering if it would be feasible for me to construct such a tank on my boat. 

Cheers!

Christopher

Leave the fuel tank outside and high - no need for a lift pump to get the fuel to the engine's lift pump (Yanmar 1gm10 lift pump has a suction head of some 3 inches or so....  not enough by itself).  Also, if you're unfortunate enough to have to remove the tank, its easily done with little or no mess and diesel smell below.  You can take a Tempo 3 or 6 gallon plastic tank and make a nice "semi-permanent" installation by building a proper shelf, fitting a vent (and a deck fill if you so desire, but the less holes you have in the deck the better) and strapping the sucker down with 2" webbing.  You could do the same with an alum or SS tank as well, but $$.........  When she has to come out, and it's not if, it's far easier dealing with diesel if it isn't down below.....  If you're going to put a tank below put a water tank down there.......

Hi Christopher:
Stefan is right re: the lift pump issue, and if you ever have to remove diesel tank, much easier being in cockpit locker - however, the smell of diesel never bothers me, but I am crazy, I think?! ;-)
My fuel tank is the original steel one,(1984/1985). I have a partial picture of it, will send to you.  It is 12 gallons, and is about 2'wide by 1'high x 1.5'deep, or so (am just guessing, not at boat right now).  It is painted beige, and is strapped in with metal straps, sitting on a wooden bed, and has been very dry, surprisingly...for all of her years.  Also has stayed very clean, no fuel problems, yet...ok, now I'm jinxed! ;-)

My holding tank is about 1.5'deep x probably 6' or 7' long, fore and aft, and about 2'wide...it is flat inside, with slight baffle areas (like mini-bulkheads inside with a round door in each "bulkhead", if you were small enough to walk around in there, YUCK!!!  It's made out of fibreglass, and when I remove floorboard to access viewing/rinsing port, it is flat on top, you could store stuff on top, it's about 3"or 4" of room there, as it's below the cabin liner.  For example, if chainplates were to leak (like when I was re-caulking) water will run down inside of boat, right onto top of holding tank, and then spill forward into bilge, if there was that much water.   
Placement: it starts just at forward bulkhead between head & forepeak, and goes back to just forward of batteries'shelf...almost right under aft hatch or just about where settees start. 
Does that all make sense?!  Did it help you?! Please let me know and I can send you pics, etc!

I replaced the original tank that was on the plywood platform in the port cockpit locker. I made a cardboard prototype to get the maximum size and yet still fit in. The top view it rectangular and just fits into the locker opening. But the side view is shaped to fit the curve of the hull side. The tank is lowered into the locker then rotated 90 degrees and then slid forward against the bulkhead. That way the tank only takes up about 8 inches of the locker and gives access to the area aft of the locker opening. Most of the tank is hidden outboard of the locker opening. The cardboard prototype was then given to a local metal shop to make the real thing. It holds 45 liters. At reduced rpm that gives me 275nm range at 4.4 kts. I store another 45 liters in four gerry cans in the starboard locker.

Anyone with a late-model JJT26 know the capacities of the integral forepeak and keel tanks? 

My 1985 is plumbed with both as potable water tanks but I know others use one of them as a holding tank (my head is direct discharge).  Which one are people using for water and which for waste? 

Their capacities will influence my decision whether to convert one of them to a holding tank...