Topic: Bukh parts

For Bukh owners Bob Bain in NJ is still in operation  at rbainnjmdiesels@hotmail.com.
I just got an email letting me know he has the water temp. switch for my DV-8, $270.25 plus $10 shipping......Maybe it's me....

2 (edited by stefan_d 2009-02-11 17:32:08)

Re: Bukh parts

what about retrofitting with a temp switch from another application

how did you test the old one to  see that it was toast.

270 for a temp sender sure is on the steep side.

It was physically broken when removing the engine. It got caught on the edge of cockpit sole.
This part wasn't made exclusively for exotic Bukh diesels. I'm still looking....

so I've been following your boat, I see today that your fuel tank is a bit of a mess.  Thats a lot of shit that came out of there.  And the thing is probably getting thin in spots.

I would seriously consider, with the cost of a new engine being the cost of a new engine, replacing the tank.  There is absolutely no reason at all to reuse the old tank, with the cost of a new plastic tank being the only addon now that the old tank is out.  You'll never get all that crap out of the old tank, it will eventually leak, it's 25 years old.  Start your new beta best friend off right with clean fresh fuel out of a new, clean, plastic tank..........

I agree! A nice "new" plastic tank would be great.
I've checked West, Hamilton Marine and Defenders for a plastic tank. Nothing close to the original.
I would like something as close to a 10gal as possible. I don't like the idea or wrestling with jerry cans in a seaway.
I would trust Tim's judgement on this. I don't want to go the custom alum. route ($$$$$).
Know of a plastic tank that will work?

I looked into plastic tanks (at the same places listed above) when I first got my boat, but I could not get one that actually fit the measurements to get it through the cockpit locker or the space available (the tanks seem to come in strange shapes). The old tank system seem to be made just for the JJT CO26 and put into place other then through the locker opening. I was told by our boat yard guy that mine tank is illegal the way it is set up. I am still interested in a 10 gal tank also but the smallest I could find was a 12 gals, which is what I have now. So if you find one that can easily be put into locker, please pass it along.

I have been watching the progress of your boat. Tim is a friend of my son. I too would recommend replacing the tank and plan to do my co26 this spring.
Look at the Inca F01015 (20.5LX14.5WX9H 10 Gal) or the F01054 (18LX18WX9H  10Gal). I haven't  measured the locker openning, but I believe these two would fit.
She looks beautiful, I am "blue" with envy.

You could also look at Vetus.  I mounted their 25 litre tank on my Contessa and found that it fit like a glove!  The advantage is that it tucked up under the forward lip of the locker and has thereby freed up a great deal of space in the locker.  I also believe that their 42 litre tank should fit (similar dimensions) should you want a larger tank.  I agree with everyone else here -- go small and if you need additional capacity carry a jerry can.  Because of the smaller tank on my boat, I now have space for two 5 gallon jerry cans in the same locker.

One other small suggestion -- when you replace the fuel lines be sure to ask that the lines be rated to handle both petro-diesel and bio-diesel.  Cost should be the same but it will give you the option of running biodiesel.  I now use 100% biodiesel on my boat and the fact that the diesel smell is GONE makes this higher-priced fuel well worth it.

Great tip.
I'll email Tim now.....

I would also be intrested on this info... Thanks

jose

Christopher,

I would also be intrested on the info... I would love to get rid of that diesel smell.

Thanks
jose