Topic: Is this the right boat ?

This is my first post and after having reviewed the majority of the forum, I very much appreciate the collective wisdom of the group.

I am considering purchasing a Contessa. As I live in north central Oregon, my plan would be to trailer the boat to various cruising locations for 2 to 4 weeks at a time. I would be single handling most of the time and the cruising locations would include both the San Juan Islands in addition to the Channel Islands (southern California).

Would the Contessa be viable boat for this type of sailing ?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Is this the right boat ?

I personally think a Contessa is a bit big for regular trailering. It might be worth looking into the slightly smaller, but still quite capable Alberg 22 for more regular trailering.

Others on the forum might disagree with me though.

I agree - CO26 is a bit too much for regular trailering.  Big difference between what can be done and what should be done.  That said, it gets to the heart of the great debate we have all struggled with - what is the smallest boat which performs respectably and is easily single-handed, low cost and low maintenace, might be able to be put on a trailer, but is unquestionably ocean capable even in terrible conditions.  CO26 owners have made their decision and I agree, there really is no real competition when all these factors are weighed together.  If I discounted a few of the measures, I might have a Pacific Seacraft or NorSea or even a CO32 - but then one measure would be sacrificed.  If trailer and ocean capable are the measures, the answer may end up at CO26 regardless

5500 lbs is not out of the question for regular trailering - as long as you have a decent trailer (elec brakes) and a decent tow vehicle.

hauling and launching is another issue, as you will need some specialized gear/setup to launch off a trailer on a ramp...  as long as wherever you intend to sail has slinging capabilites, you're pretty much laughing.  it wouldn't be a weekend affair to haul her somewhere, sail, re load, and head home but for 3-4 week stints the contessa would be a pretty good gunkholer for some serious cruising grounds (lake superior....?)

5 (edited by Jose Salvador 2009-02-25 10:38:20)

Many thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. The group’s collective wisdom and willingness to share are greatly appreciated. 

My initial thought would be to have the boat launched and retrieved via a travel lift/ hoist or a similar arrangement. My current vehicle is rated for around 7500 lbs and hopefully would be up to the task.

One of my next endeavors will be to attempt to find  a  Contessa 26 that is hopefully within a day’s drive such that I could at least look at the boat.

Best regards,

Michael