Topic: new winches

I am replacing my winches (at least two of them, maybe all four if I can't salvage two of the old ones).  I'm looking at the lewmar 16st.  They come in Alloy, Chrome, Bronze, All Chrome or All Bronze.  I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of each material.  What material do others have?  Also, as I'm kinda puny and not getting any younger, I'd really like two speeds (the 16st only comes in one).  Any other suggestions for a two-speed, self-tailing winch that will fit? Suzeh

Re: new winches

I think I got the chrome one. I would think that for most of us day sailors, you cannot go wrong with any of them. When you mount them, they are a lot heavier then the old ones and you have to drill new holes for them. Do not throw out the old ones, they could come in useful in the future. Get the self-tailing, they save you a lot of grief and they are a must for solo sailing. jklee

Chrome looks nice and shiny and is initially slightly lower maintenance. to keep looking good.  Bronze will almost certainly be what's under the chrome so if  you intend to keep them for many years or are off on a circumnavigation you  may prefer not to have a chrome layer that will eventually wear and need re-chroming.  However Bronze will need *some* polishing to help it develop a patina rather than a load of blue verdigris.  You wouldn't want to keep polishing it bright. too much work, too much wear.  The bronze ones are probably lacquered so they start nice and shiny. It wont last and as the lacquer wears through they will look pretty bad.
Alloy will probably be cheaper, will be lighter and less durable. However I have some bottom acting Gibb alloy winches that the drums haven't worn out yet although the bearings are pretty bad and they are somewhere around 40 years old.
If you are a dedicated racer and your prevailing wind comes off a dune field, desert or other source of fine dust, *DONT* get alloy winches. ;-)  The  repeated abrasion when trimming will wear the drums fairly quickly. A hard chrome finish would hold up best under that sort of abuse but even that is going to need rechroming regularily.

I have an original UK C026 and I have yet to find *any* spinny winches that would fit the existing pedestals on the coaming. Everything is at least 1/2" too big across the base.  I have had it suggested to me that I should get an adaptor plate made with countersunk holes and machine screws from underneath into the fixing holes of the new winch and drilled and tapped to the old bolt circle so studs can be inserted  to bolt it down by using the old holes.  If your access *sucks*, or the bolt circle is larger or is too close to the old holes for safety and you don't want to rebuild the pedestal, you may want to consider this.  A 1/2" stainless or bronze plate drilled and tapped as described would be no weaker than bolting it direct for any reasonable size winch. It might be possible to go down to 3/8" but I'd not go thinner.

The Primaries are much larger, with a 4 1/2" base and I could fit just about any winch I liked there but they are in pretty good condition and the captive bottom acting handles can never get lost overboard.
The lack of self tailing isn't too bad as I don't usually race so aren't constantly trimming and with a bottom acting non geared winch, its easy to use both hands for the power stroke while tailing with one hand on the return stroke.  I *might* treat my ageing  crew to longer handles for them for a bit more leverage.

I like two speed.  When I'm tired, sore (a little gift from a hit and run driver is frequent pain in my wrist and shoulder), or have a weaker or inexperienced crew member trimming, the two speed makes life a lot easier.

Now here's the really important question:  you can polish winches?  Mine are LEWMAR 16s and 8s.  The are a dark colour.  I didn't know there was anything I could or should do.  Any suggestions?

If they are bronze finish and have gone a rich dark colour rather than blue or green and powdery then they have developed a nice patina and should be left well alone (apart from their regular maintenance) except for an occasional wash and wipe with a rag with the *barest* hint of oil on it.

They *could* be polished bright but why wear them out sooner?

OTOH if you have thick deposits of verdigris clean it off, and try wiping on a very very light smear of Owatrol in the hope it will provide enough protection for the Bronze to develop a patina.

If they are chrome finish, all chromed parts *except* the drum face can be polished with any *good*  chrome polish.  (you don't want to polish where the rope goes round the drum as that should be textured and you don't want that part slipperier)

Stainless, treat as chrome or you can use a dedicated stainless polish if you prefer, just *dont* get any on Chrome!

If they are anodized alloy, you cant really polish them. Just wash and wipe with that rag with the barest trace of oil.  If they are black or grey anodised they will look crappy if worn, but its of no significance.  Clean, well maintained and properly lubricates is *far* more important. . .

As Lewmar don't do a composite or carbon size 8 or 16 winch, we don't need to consider what to do with those!

Self-tailers would be fun if one can find them, but they are in demand and are quite expensive.

I have original Gibb primaries and spinnaker winches on board which are aesthetically and mechanically perfect.  However, as I bronze my boat I am keen to replace them.  Last year I picked up a beautiful pair of Barient 16s in plain bronze for the primaries but I have been able to come up with the secondaries.  Lewmar B6B will fit the small bases, and there are others but they are very rare.  Primary winches for our little boats are the secondaries of others...

If you do have bronze winches, particularly with a nice patina, please DON'T try to shine them up!  Call me instead and perhaps we can trade!

If anyone comes across a pair of secondary winches for me don't hesitate to drop me a line.  I have been looking for a while now.

OK, thanks for he advice.  I haven't actually maintained them at all.  I guess I'd better do some research.

Dear Group,
Does anyone have a pattern for a tiller/rudder head cover?  I've seen some nice pictures of some in the gallery but am not sure how it all fits together.  Getting everything ready, even sent in my launch form today.  It won't be long, if only the weather in Northeast Ohio would cooperate!  Jim R.

Hi Group, Does anyone have a pattern for a tiller/rudder cover?  I've seen some pictures of nice ones in the gallery but am wondering if there are plans/patterns available.  Hope all your spring projects are going well.  I sent in my launch form yesterday, won't be long, just have to get the weather in NE Ohio to cooperate.  Jim R. S/V Lua

Good tip on the cajun trading company.  I have been buying most of my line from milwaukee rigging on ebay but their prices are not as good as west marine"s prices when they have a 30 off sail running. 

What has been your experience with regatta in self tailing winches? 

John

Enjoy [url=http://change-your-ip.com/identity-cloaker-review/]Anonymous Browsing[/url]