Topic: LOOKING FOR A CONTESSA...

Re: LOOKING FOR A CONTESSA...

The MA contessa has some serious deck issues which need to be addressed.  I'd look at it if you're looking for a fixer-upper project, but it's certainly not "turnkey"...

Yes, John, I was speaking to Tania at the Boat Show, and she also mentioned she had contact with Shannon. ( I was also impressed)

I was going to contact Shannon, and tell her I had spoke to Tania and shook her hand,  since the two are good friends, no need.

Shannon, I was a little dumb struck to say the least to meet Tania.

In fact, we were talking to Tania today as well. She seemed quite surprised by all the "Contessans" she was meeting at the boat show.

I picked up a copy of her new book, which she graciously signed for me, and count myself lucky to have met someone who has inspired as much as she has.

Thanks for the info everyone
Can someone tell me why the post 1983 boats are more desireable?

Oh my god, you guys saw "her"! hee hee!  I have to say I feel very humbled to know she even remembered who this "ninny" was...I had told her how we (well, me anyways!) thought what she did in "our" little boats was so brave, and that we (on this site and at rendezvous) talked about "Tania's boat had this', and "Tania did that"...etc...I thought for sure she was going to have security watching for a "nutty skinny female sailor"!!
Thank you for passing all that on, very cool!  I am wanting to get her book, literally no time to stop in main yacht bookstore here in Vancouver!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

In a e-mail conversation with another contessa 26 searcher, the subject of paying import taxes on a contessa 26 crossing over the international line (Canada to US or reverse) for a new owner came up.  Does anyone know where one would look on the internet on what these taxes would be for be both Canada and/or US?  This does play into the cost of buying a boat.  Thanks-

Hi John. Here's some info on buying a used boat in Canada.  If you scroll down to the bottom, under the "licencing and registration" section it says that most Canadians have to pay PST (provincial sales tax) but not GST (federal sales tax -- the "G" stands for "gouging" I think) unless the boat is imported from the States. Sorry, nothing about going the other way.
I'm trying to get a handle on all these details too. Can anyone recommend a good resource or website?  What about checking for liens on used boats. Does anyone know how to do that?
Sadie

For those of you thinking about the Varuna #324, the following is the message I got from the owner, Steve Thorpe last night.  I am not sure I am up for a auction though I would not mind the boat.
---------
I've never sailed Varuna (although I had two other sailboats that got heavy use), so she hasn't been sailed in more than two years. As a result, the only photos I have are of Tania under sail -- the ones on the website.

Don't have a marine survey yet. I was planning on auctioning the boat in the spring
--------------

By the way, can anyone tell me where "The Registry" went on this forum?  I looked every where.

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

I am guess this goes for those in US buying from a Canadian.  What about in the US, is it the same?  I am having to learn from my landlocked small town.

In the US one must prove clear chain of title to document a boat.  This is one advantage of documentation over state registration in that a documented boat by nature has a clear title up to its current owner.  The buyer must still make sure the seller clears loans, mechanics liens, boatyard bills, etc.  Generally a buyer should specify in the purchase agreement that the seller will provide the boat with clear title, free of liens or other encumbrances and with all appropriate documentation.

Hello-
I have decided to sell my larger cruising classic and look for a Contessa.I used to own a lapstrake folkboat and always loved its sailing qualities and its beauty. Any leads out their? I am looking to spend up to 15k for the right boat. Northeast location.
BTW Has anyone seen the $5500 contessa in Mass?

thanks all
Ray

The duty to import a foreign boat to the US is generally 1.5%; however, thanks to NAFTA, there is no duty on importing a Canadian built boat. Of course, depending upon what state you live in, there is likely still a notable sales or use tax to pay, but you'll pay that on any boat you buy.

21 (edited by Peter SC 2006-04-04 12:21:59)

Lattitude 38 has an add for one:

CONTESSA 26, 1981. Rugged, go-anywhere pocket cruiser. Yanmar 1GM diesel 1997. Hood sails, Harken furling. Heavy-duty stainless steel rigging. Dodger. VHF, DS, KM, etc. Berkeley up-wind slip. Asking $12,000. Email.gowenatberkeley.edu

Hi Everybody.  As of April 1 I'm Varuna's new owner and she's sitting peacefully on her trailer in my driveway in Harpswell, Maine.  After two Co26 details falling through over the winter, I'm thrilled to have ended up with such a good boat.  Oh, I've got her engine out to inspect and paint it and the engine compatment, and have the wiring exposed to install new panels and the radar which was included but not mounted.  I'm amazed that the Monitor gear looks just like new after so much use.  She should go in the water around the end of May and after some coastal shakedown cruises this summer will head to the Caribbean in the fall.  I'll start reading the Contessa Corner more now, as I couldn't bear to earlier when I wanted to find a boat so badly and all of you were chatting about boat details.

Hi Sam!  Welcome aboard.  Congratulations on your recent purchase of “Varuna.”  We discovered some time back that your boat shares #324 with Jose Salvador’s “Capella.”  Do you have any inside information from the previous owners about how this happened?  By the way, is your boat still pretty much the same now as it was when it did it’s famous circumnavigation?  Has a lot been done to it since then?  We're looking forward to having you join in with us.
Mark Smith
#342 Caprice

If you are looking for a Contessa 32 and you are near the U.S. West Coast, you might check this out from the April issue of Lattitude 38:

CONTESSA 32, 1976, Grenadier.  A classic and seaworthy cruiser/racer with Bay sailing success.  Chocolate brown hull, mahogany interior with berths for five, tiller steering.  Full set of racing and cruising sails.  Yanmar 2GM20FL.  See SAILING review 10/03.  $39,000.  Call (415) 377-9425.

Hi Sam,

Congratulations on your purchase of, "Varuna".  That's quite the responsibility owning such a significant piece of sailing history not to mention being the venerable "holy" grail of Contessa's around the world.  Doesn't it just blow your mind or hasn't it hit you yet?  Please post pictures soon and often.  Have a great season!