Topic: Bypassing engine fuel filter...

Hello All!!!

Yes, it's been a while but it life certainly has a way of getting in the way of boating.  In any case, I do have a question for the forum.  I am contemplating of bypassing my fuel filter which is attached to my Farymann and putting it through a more efficient and leak proof fuel/water separator unit which I already have between the engine and the fuel tank.  Has anybody else done this and are there any considerations/potential problems that  I have to keep in mind?  Please advise and thanks.

José

Re: Bypassing engine fuel filter...

I'd expect as long as the fuel filter/separator were at least as good as the one on your Farymann, you'd be fine. But that's just an opinion. I'm certainly no expert.

Hey Adrian!

I'm guessing that anything is better than circa 1976 technology so perhaps I'll just proceed and install a replacement filter/water separator.  I looked at the set up of the incumbent filter and it's just attached to the side of the engine with two bolts which roughly correspond with the bolt set up of my other filter/water separator.  It could be as easy as taking one off and putting the other one in its place and replacing the old lines leading to and from the filter. 

While I've grown to love that diesel smell, it does take its toll on the guests from time to time.

Thanks for the response, however, Adrian.  I expect to hear from you this season!! :-))

José

Hi Jose

Have you tried Bio-Diesel... I hear it works well... I have yet to try it.

jose

Hi jose,

I have heard about it from a friend of mine who drives a Jetta TDI.  Doesn't it involve using fat/lard  as diesel fuel?  Makes it worthwhile to pick up a bucket and a few litres from the Colonel.  One stop shopping indeed!!  Oh happy days...........

José

I ran pure biodiesel (B100) on my boat two seasons past (unfortunately did not launch last year but that is another story).  B100 will change your boat -- no diesel smell!  Worth every penny.  If going this route I suggest completely emptying your fuel tank and system of petrodiesel before refilling with B100.  A blend of the two fuels will defeat the goal of no diesel smell. 

Let the supplier know what you intend to do with the fuel.  Some feedstocks may transform into biodiesel which gels (and therefore won't be useable) at a relatively high temperature -- as high as +5 degrees C.  My last batch was made from rapeseed and was perfect right through the fall.

One other thing to keep in mind.  Biodiesel is a powerful solvent and will clean all sorts of crud from your fuel system.  Be prepared to change your fuel filters soon after switching to this fuel.

Christopher

I would love to try the bio diesel particularly when it comes to the dreaded fuel smell in the cabin.  Does anyone know how to source out dealers or manufacturers of B100?  Thanks all!

José

WARNING

Biodiesel may be incompatible with the diaphragm in your fuel pump!

You will also have to replace any remaining OEM flexible hose and O ring seals in the fuel system.  Any generic parts bought in recent years  *should* be biodiesel compatible.

Personally I'd just put the time into getting the fuel system absolutely tight and free of weeps.  Its not rocket science - a few new seals and replacing or reconditioning anything with a damaged sealing surface should do it. You've got to do it anyway as if you are discharging oil in your bilge water, try convincing any official it's only biodiesel and should be ignored . . .

As to the on engine filter - that's your last line of defence - it should stay clean if your bulkhead mounted primary filter  is doing its job, but if there is a defect in the filter membrane in the primary filter or the flex line between the primary and the engine starts to break down due to all the vibration it experiences, it it there to keep the debris out of your expensive, delicate and impossible to repair at sea injection pump.  DON'T bypass it.  If you cant cure it's leaking tendencies without over-tightening it, talk to a diesel injection shop about a suitable replacement with good availability of spare elements.  All secondary filters for the same type and size of injection pump are more or less equivalent . . .