Topic: The Molds

I think smh knows, I seem to recall the last molds were sold off to a private guy who was going to start building again, but that fizzled out?

For what it's worth, or as a starting point:

"In 1973, J.J. Taylor president, Alan Nye Scott, had a Rogers-built hull and deck shipped from Britain so that Taylors could produce a set of molds for Canadian production."

And here's something curious from Transport Canada website:

Vessel Registration Query System    
IVORY TOWER (O.N. 0813087)

Ship | General Statistics | Engine | Builder
Owner(s) | Authorized Representative | All
Ship
Official Number    0813087     Year Built    1982
Ship Name    IVORY TOWER     Year Rebuilt    -
Former Name    -    Port of Registry    MONCTON
IMO Number    -    Registry Date    1990 08 21
          Certificate Expires    2007 06 30
General Statistics
Vessel Type    PLEASURE CRAFT     Gross Tonnage    8.84 t
Net Tonnage    8.25 t    Construction Type    MOULDED
Ship Length    8.47 m    Construction Material    REINFORCED PLASTIC
Ship Breadth    2.87 m    Ship Depth    1.62 m

Tonnage determined by tabular method: No
Engine
Engine Description    DIESEL     Number of Engines    1
Propulsion Type    AUXILIARY     Speed (knots)    5.0
Propulsion Method    SINGLE SCREW     Propulsion Power    15
Unit of Power    BRAKE HORSEPOWER          
Builder
Builder Name    ALLAN NYE SCOTT
Address    BELLEVILLE, ONT.
Province    ONTARIO
Country    CANADA
Postal Code    -
Owner(s)
Owner Name    PHILIP JOHN ALLISON
Address    34 HAWTHORN ST.
    BELLEVILLE, ON
Province    ONTARIO
Country    CANADA
Postal Code    K8P 5M6
Number of Shares    64  (meaning it's a registered vessel. SR)

It looks like the above is a sailboat still being built by the Nye yare??  Maybe they know something?  That's where it all started, but I have read so much about molds burning, being seized, held for ransom, etc...that I can't rightly recall where the JJT ones went.

Ok, that's my detective work for the moment!  Back to work!
Shannon

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: The Molds

Heavens, I meant the "Nye Scott YARD", not the Nye yare, even though that sounded kinda yachty! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

There is a set of contessa hull molds in the woods on gabriola island, BC.  Not sure if they have anything to do with the JJ taylor molds but the hull I believe is identical but the deck has been modified to have an opening companionway hatch.

Maybe they just look like Contessa molds?  There are a few boats that look very similar to the Co26 but seemingly, the only difference (from afar perhaps, or buried in the woods?!)  would be that there is a hatch instead of hump...but then she would not be a Co26, would she?!
Mind you, there's a possibility it could be a Folkboat?...it is be a very close sister.

I got some more information on the molds that i thought were contessa molds.  Turns out that they are folkboat 26 molds and they were used by a company from sidney that built 12 folkboats.  When they went out of buisness they moved a bunch of stuff they never sold to gabriola island and now they are sitting in the woods and there might also be a bare hull there too.

Do you have any photos of these molds?  I know the fiberglass verision was or is built in the San Fran Bay once and this version was to get the Folkboat a new lease on life.  There have been moves in the past to being the folkboat back into project in north america.  Now one question to ask is, are these molds the Folkboat or the International Folkboat, the more family pleasure verision.

What has happened to the Taylor molds for the 26 and 32? Anyone know?

Jose knows this also: one of the newest Contessa owners - his uncle was THE JJ Taylor...Jim or James I believe...and he sold the JJ Taylor company before the Contessa 26 was even built here in Canada!  So, I think the boats should be called BB Jones or something?!