Topic: New Engine for Morava

So Morava is going to receive a new Engine during the winter of 2010 - the Faryman K34M has done a great job for the last 30 years but I think it is time to replace it.

So question to the group:  Kubota or Yanmar?

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: New Engine for Morava

whichever is cheaper!

I like the way you think.

So far the Kubota OC95 9.5 HP before taxes and installation is running at $3,420.  Will let you know once I hear about the Yanmar.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

is that an air cooled engine?

Two things:
- Now that EQUINOX is out of Tim's shop where it was cared for and coddled it is now at its' mooring in Mass. where I'm left to my own devices. Presently I'm trying  to figure out the boom outhaul, reefing and mainsail tack. My main sail has three reefs and there are three lines in the boom running forward to three stoppers at the forward end. The outboard end of these lines run through three sheaves and out.. Are these three lines for the three reefs or is the center line for the outhaul and the two on either side for two of the three reefs?  The gooseneck at the mast has a double reef hook but no way of fastening  mainsail, tack.  My rig is a 1986 Crindel.
-I've got a low hour Bukh DV8 that needs a home.

The Kubota is oil cooled.  A dealer in toronto called me back and quoted a price for the 1GM10 at $6,470.  SOmething is not right, perhaps the Kubota is not meant to be the poer plant for a sail boat - I can;t understand the $3,000 in price??

rbporter good luck with trying to figure out the lines for the main sail and for the reefing - I have the same problem - I have no idea as to what those lines are for but I have two on either dies that run through the boom.
I understand you out a Beta in Equinox - would you mind sharing the reasons as to why you picked that engine- just curious

Thanks.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

dont think that oc95 is the right beast for the job...

i'll meet up with you this summer, and you can see the proper re-installation that i did for the yanmar 1gm10, and hear it run etc.

properly installed and mounted, the beta twin cylinder would be a much better choice.  the only issue being that to mount the engine properly, it has to come pretty far forward and this usually involves relieving the boat a bit.  the intention being that you really don't want to have (or should) to modify the engine's mount brackets, rather rebuild or modify the engine beds in the boat.

is eastern marine who quoted you on the engine?  if youre looking for an installer they do beautiful work.

there is a guy on boatforsale.org who advertises yanmars avail in kingston.  i might even considering buying a diesel in new york state and bringing it back if youre having a third party install the engine.  or thinking of tackling it yourself.

Hi Stefan_d:

The quote came from International power Systems in Toronto.  Of course that figure did not include installation.  That would be great if we could meet up and I could take a look at your Yanmar.  And of course the invitation is always there to come take a look at Morava and her old Faryman.

It seems you also like the Beta, curious as to why, I do not know the difference between the two engines.

Cheers,

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

beta is a twin cylinder engine, with a kubota block.  parts are more readily available, as youre not dealing with yanmar dealers and protected dealer territory.

the yanmar runs ok for a single, is compact, pretty simple and proven/bulletproof.  i would say easier to work on in the confines of a contessa 26, international parts availability, etc. 

i had no idea that the price tag on the single yanmar was that much.

Ah ha, now I get why people like the beta and perhaps the price of the Kubota was just the block.  Though I will check around with other dealers regarding the Yanmar - the price quoted was via a voice mail so perhaps I did not understand correctly or make myself understood when I left the message to get the quote.

I have to admit though that at that price, maybe I will continue to coax a couple of more years out of my Faryman.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

the engine beds are there, everything else is there...

i might even be convinced to take on some winter business

whats parts availability like?  i seem to remember jcfoto having to do some work on a farymann

I think parts are very hard to come by, I have had to have at least one part custome made.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Perhaps you should talk to Bob Porter about his Bukh that he just replaced with a Yanmar. I know he felt it was too exotic, but mine has run fine, and I've had no problem getting parts. A fellow named Davis Craven in Maryland is licensed dealer, and was very pleasant to work with. Could be a cost-effective interim solution. BTW - I'm no expert on engines, but I believe that Kubota engine is primarily used to run gensets, and wouldn't be the best choice as auxiliary power. All things being equal, I'd choose the Yanmar - not because they're necessarily better, but their worldwide distributorship is second to none. You can get parts just about anywhere in the world.

14 (edited by rbporter 2009-06-13 06:49:32)

No, no, no? Bit rude hey?

Interestingly, I buy filters for my Bukh at Napa.

16 (edited by stefan_d 2009-06-14 05:19:53)

I get filters for the yanmar either at napa, or wix filters from another jobber.  napa filters are wix filters.

5 bucks for an oil filter vs 14.  hmm.....

just for the sake of it, if anyone is interested

yanmar 119660-35150 is a wix 51334 filter
fuel filter is a wix 33262

youcan go to wixfilters.com and punch in the yanmar number for an interchange.

Thanks for this.  Good catch on the fact that Yanmar is not producing the 1 cy anymore, this is a key factor in my decesion.  Rbporter I will check out Tim's site again on the engine installation, but I forget, did he have to move engine forward and off the current engine beds?

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

i wouldnt let the fact that the 1gm10 is no longer in production influence the decision.  if its the most economical, parts spares will be available for years to come.

they havnt made the sidewinders (sb8, etc) in probably 15 years but parts are still readily available.  the yanmar is not entirely marine exlusive, shares some parts with other yanmar families.

I rebuilt a 20 year old 1GM10 last winter.  Crankshaft skimmed, new undersize bearings, new rings and a new head. Runs like new for a fraction of the price.  Now I know production has stopped I'll have to look harder for a good used spare gearbox (the old one works fine but is out of spec for wear) and starter.

i wouldnt worry about the gearbox (common to 2 and 3gm series).

i'm looking for a used head to rebuild and keep as a spare.

The problem is that the common failure mode for the  one piece mild steel injection elbow is for the inner sleeve to pinhole near the top and let cooling water impinge on the exhaust passage in the head which sooner or later rusts through to the pushrod galleries and meanwhile the exhaust valve and seat are suffering badly.  I have a head that looked fine until I started digging the crud out of this passage and found it had holed through.  The passage will have to be machined out and a tubular insert brazed in to fix it.  The OEM head was a package deal with new valves already fitted and as I was running short of time I didn't proceed with fixing the old one.

I'd concentrate on avoiding the whole problem by improving the injection elbow.  It shouldn't be too difficult to get a two piece one made up to the same pattern as the OEM one only with the inner sleeve on a separate thinner flange that the flange on the outer tube bolts on top of.  You'll need to talk to a good custom muffler shop for advice on what's going to be most corrosion resistant.

The OEM elbow is definably a wear item and needs a close inspection using a torch and a dental mirror annually.  Also it's crazy to lay the engine up with either the exhaust or the water hose attached to the elbow.  It really needs both removed and fogging oil or similar applied then bag it up in plastic with a fresh silica gel dessicant sachet up the elbow.  Same treatment to the inlet manifold after removing and washing out the foam air filter and make sure both valves are closed and you'll not be needing a new head.   

Water pump problems are a whole other issue.  If it starts weeping it will sooner or later cause serious corrosion of the mild steel oil line directly below it  and then its a matter of luck whether you catch it in time or have it blow under way and seize the engine.  If this line starts corroding have a replacement made up in copper pipe, DONT buy the OEM one! The banjo ends can be reused and brazed on the new line.  Also a sustained drip can result in excessive corrosion of the timing cover and possible loss of the thread in the lower bolt hole of the water pump mounting.  If mine deteriorates further I'll have to get it welded and re-tap the hole.  USE DURALAC on the water pump mounting bolts and I've cut a drip shield from thin polythene sheet that goes under the pump base flange to keep any future weeps off the timing cover and oil line.

The OEM engine mounts are also a disaster waiting to happen and priced like they were gold plated. After-market ones are available which are fuel and oil resistant, fully captive so the engine can't break loose in a knockdown  and also are more compact and make it easier to fit the engine in.  They also are around 1/4 the price!  In the USA an adaptor plate is available to match the OEM mount bolt holes and height for an exact drop in replacement, but I chose to rebuild the beds rather than import a set.

oh my god there's someone out there who thinks like I do

i reground the valves and seats, so my head likely wont be good for another rebuild.

ive got a stainless elbow in the works, ready for next season.  i went so far as to take the stock elbow off the engine in the fall.......  clean it, good to go for another year. 

r&d small shear mounts were around 50 bucks each, a far better product than the yanmar mount.  already had the old beds cut out, so new ones were already going to happen.......

an ounce of prevention eh....?