Topic: Replacing the weirdly sized stuffing box

I recently removed the stuffing box on my 1975 Co26 to repack it, when I noticed the end the hose clamps on is somewhat pitted and corroded. Not hugely, but probably enough to prevent a good seal.

The shaft size is 7/8". The hose side is 1-1/4", as is the stub it clamps onto in the Contessa. Looking to replace it,  I found that no one makes stuffing boxes in size 7/8", 1-1/4". Surely someone must have had this issue before and had to replace their box. Any ideas where to find a replacement, or potential workarounds that don't involve replacing the shaft tube?

If I don't find a replacement, I'll likely fill the pits with epoxy and sand it down flush with the bronze and go with that, but that's just postponing the inevitable as this piece of bronze will go sometime, and I'm keeping the boat for the long haul.

Many thanks,
Antonio.

Re: Replacing the weirdly sized stuffing box

i might add that i used the 25mm shaft / 42mm stern tube.  the stern tube was a bit bigger than 1-5/8"  and incidentally, 42mm is 1.655

Seeadler,

I'll keep that pointer in mind. I'm sure I'll need it in the future.

For the time being, I built up the hose section with epoxy plus filler, and clamped it back into place. I'll find a long-term fix later after I've knocked a few more near-term problems off the to-do list.

Thanks all,

A.

An while I'm logged in let me ask those who may know about Monitor vs Cape Horn.
Steering gear is on my wish list for EQUINOX but from what I've read there does'nt seem to be a clear winner.
Any and all thoughts greatly apprecciated.
Thanx always....

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

looks like volvo wont let us see the store anymore....  darn dealer protected territory

the part number is indeed 828254

What would be the outside diameter of the stern tube for the Volvo Penta style packing box?