Topic: core thickness on cabin roof

Hello all

I will be installing pad eyes onto the 4 corners of the cabin roof. Does anyone know how this core material is relative to these 4 corners? as well my impression is that the core is balsa wood can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
John

Re: core thickness on cabin roof

what year?

my 75 has 2 layers of around 3/16" glass and a layer ~.040 almost like doorskin between

approx 1/2" total thickness

stefan

Thanks for the reply, my boat was built in 1979. Just to confirm  you are saying that the core material in the cabin roof, between the 2 layers of glass is 0.040 inches, would this be at the four corners of the cabin roof? I ask because  I have a hatch installed behind the mast and I can see around that hatch that the core material is closer to 3/8's inch This would suggest that the core material is tapered towards the outside of the cabin roof. Or things changed from 75 to 79. No matter I will find out when I start drilling holes.

Thanks,
John

i would surmise that things changed.  there seems to be little consistency along the years almost as if the factory used what was available at the time, and as the years progressed the layup construction / techniques improved a bit

with 3/8" coring how thick are the glass layers?  seems like the early boats were heavy on the glass and light on the coring.  the foredecks on the untold want were and are recored with 3/8" marine plywood saturated with west system and the top layer of glass is almost as thick!