Topic: Cruising with a spinnaker

Regarding the use of a spinnaker or gennaker on my C26 , I notice that the spinnaker halyard emerges the mast next to the jib halyard , not above it . Will this cause problems when the spinnaker or jennaker is jybed ?
Bary /Ragus

Re: Cruising with a spinnaker

The upper spinnaker halyard block is normally above and forward of the head stay.  The casting at the top of the mast has two cross-holes.  The highest and most forward hole should be for the spinnaker halyard swivel block so that the ‘chute is carried forward and clear of the headstay.  This naturally makes it clear of the jib halyard.  If it isn’t like this, you may have a problem.  This assumes that I haver understood your inquiry.  That may be a bad assumption.

I too have been looking at a Spinnaker pole... however I'm a visual learner.... I don't seem to have everything I need to make this work right... dose anyone have any close up pictures as to how it should look and work... would really be appreciated... thanks

Spinnakers seem to have a bad name in the cruising business.  From the beginning, when the racing yacht “Sphinx” hauled up her “acre” of headsail, the spinnaker (Sphinx’s acre) has been considered a racing rag.  For the cruiser, it can be the sail that makes those dog days of summer quite delightful.  Sailing off the wind, when it’s down to less than 8 kts, can be a sloppy time but, with a ‘chute, you can be trucking along.  Cruising chutes, although easier to set, don’t have the area and are not that effective in very light air and they don’t require a pole.   The spinnaker pole is a multiuse item.  At anchor, you can tether your dinghy off it so that it doesn’t keep bumping the hull all night, it’s a better whisker pole than the one with whiskers, and as a clothes line it beats the lifelines by keeping the clothes in the breeze.  Don’t leave home without one.

I am looking into buying a Whisker Pole and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on them.  I mainly see Forespar "small telescoping" or "heavy -duty" whisker poles.  I have used them once when I was in a sailing club in Florida for running with the wind and it worked great.  Thanks, jklee