Topic: Boom Length?

Anyone know the length of the boom?  Mine's under the tarps at the moment unfortunately.

Many thanks!

Christopher

Re: Boom Length?

On my original 1980 sail plan I have the boom at 10 feet 0 inches.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I have also uploaded a copy of the sail plan (actually it was from 1983 ) in the technical gallery and it has all of the dimesions - lots of scribbles on it though.

Hope this helps.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I seem to recall that on #322, the boom could easily have been shortened by 6 inches, but as I don't have a boat available to measure, I cannot confirm this, nor confirm the length of the boom.

Good point - also my boom was manufactured by Cinkle spars - and I am sure over the years they changed suppliers (hence could be different lengths)  - also the sail plan I have states it is the "Mark IV" one, so I am sure there are others.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Christopher,

I have a 1976 and the boom is 11 feet, 1 inch.

Marc

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

Christopher,

While I was researching JJ Taylors last year, found that there was a variance in boom length -- depending on the supplier (as Adrian has suggested). For example, and eyeballing these, yours and mine seem to be different in length, and how they attach to the boom, yet our boats are only 3 years apart.  It might be an idea to post a pic of your boom so others can recognize it as similar to their own... if measurements are handy.  I have a seen a few Contessa pics where the spars looked similar to yours.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

I think Marc's 1976 sounds right.  I checked this a while back while measuring for something else and seem to recall that 11 feet was about right.  I just wanted a confirmation...

Thanks to all for the responses!

Christopher

My 1979 J.J.Taylor Contessa boom apprears to be  stock and ten feet long -even.
The attachment piece at the forward end of the boom to the mast is badly corroded. I would like to replace it.
Anyone know the specs and where one might be found?

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Interesting differences in the lengths - I wonder why - and these are long booms to begin with.

Thanks for the link to South Shore Yachts.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266