Topic: How did I manage to have 11 through-hulls on my Contessa?

So, I'm refitting a 1975 J.J. Taylor Contessa to bluewater shape. As a result, I've put seacocks on all through-hulls, and added one more through-hull for the cockpit bilge pump (a one through-hull per bilge pump policy).

So now I've got 11(!) through-hulls in my boat. The count:
2 x cockpit scuppers
2 x deck scuppers
2 x engine  in/out (the exhaust is above the waterline)
2 x head in/out
1 x sink drain
2 x bilge pump  (one for the electric, and the other for the mechanical pumps, both slightly above the waterline)

I'm simply amazed that such a small boat can have so many holes in its hull.

For starters, I'm tempted to drain the deck scuppers, which are a thin hose anyhow, via a y-joint into the cockpit scupper hoses (which are a thick hose).

That still leaves 9, which is a huge number to me. Anyone else think so?

For example, the people on Bika have no through-hulls. Of course, they don't have an engine or head...

Thanks.

Re: How did I manage to have 11 through-hulls on my Contessa?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think both the electric and manual bilge pumps can drain through the same through-hull. I think that's how mine was.

Mine was originally that way, but I was chastised by a couple of boating friends. The through-hull itself is 1-1/4, while the whalegusher hose is 1-1/2. Already, I'm constraining flow. If I add the 1 inch hose from the electric bilge pump, I'm driving more water through there than it can handle. Of course, that's not a huge deal....except when both are running at the same time, which will only be during a crisis, which is precisely when I want it to flow as quickly as possible. Hence, the one pump/one through-hull policy.

How about all the cockpit/deck drains? Do other Contessas have four subwaterline through-hulls thanks to that alone?

My Contessa didn't have deck scuppers that drained through thru-hulls. It had gaps in the fiberglass under the toerail cap that drained water out. All round more sensible than bringing water from the deck on board, then back out through thru-hulls.

That does seem more sensible, on the whole. Would probably be an expensive mod, though.

I can't really comment on the cost. I was looking to see if I had any pictures that showed it, but I haven't come across any yet. I'll keep looking.

If my boat didn't have the toerail scupper for the deck then I would either cut the toerail and do some  handy-work with epoxy to smooth  out the rough edges or put a drain on the deck either side of the cockpit, draining out through a thru hull in the transom above the waterline. Either of these should work without to much trouble.
I think the existing (stock) cockpit drains are a little to small for this boat going to sea as they are. I have always thought about a large scupper (2" inches or more square or round)  in the center and out through the back wall of the cockpit just above the cockpit sole and some how out through the transom with a flapper door of some kind to prevent a back flow from a following sea. This would quickly remove most of the water from a flooded cockpit leaving the last one to two inches of water for the existing cockpit drains.

From forward 1- knotlog, 2 - sink drain, 3 - head fresh water in, 4 - engine raw water intake, 5&6 - cockpit drains, 7 - bilge pump outlet (above w/l) 8 - engine exhaust (above w/l)

My 76 did NOT have the toerail drains, and I;m sure glad I took the time to cut 2 drains out on each side.  She sheds water quickly now, and I can;t imagine how painfully slow the deck must have drained with the small drains teed into the cockpit drain hoses.  In the general vicinity of the old drains, I punched a hole in the new coring before installing and filled with glass- for future considerations for fresh water collection (rain) but for now the holes are for all intents and purposes gone.