Topic: Mast raising party, anyone?

Hello All,
well I did it, I got another boat. After I sold Blue Skies, I decided to just go along for awhile, and wait for the next one- I never thought I would even LOOK at a boat in the $20 K range! but then I came into some money, happens once every million or so years I guess, and I thought You only live once, why not reach for the stars? Turns out, grabbing a star, especially a Shooting Star, by the tail is alot like sailing with too much sail in a very strong wind! REEF DOWN!!  ...so here I am, once again a boat owner, (I uploaded a photo of the boat, on the trailer I listed for sale, under General Images, # 93 I think) and already money is flowing out, my credit card is going to be close to maxed before its over, and the TO DO list seems endless! I already miss the simplicity that was Blue Skies- diesel engine, roller furler jib, thats a bout it! If you look under the Contessa Marketplace, this is boat #345 that was for sale back in fall of 2007. I bought it from the guy that bought it from THAT guy- Tony Locsei. I got most of the stuff, except the dingy & outboard. The guy I bought it from never got to sail it, so basically it has been drydocked for 2 1/2 years. But Aaron (the owner's agent that sold it for him) had the engine running (closed system- I have to hook the water pump back up before starting it in the water) for me, since I never got to hear BlueSkies' engine, it was like heaven listening to this one purr!! smile
I am launching it in early April, if all goes well- the funnest part of that will probably be stepping the mast. I've read thru all the posts I could find on the subject, and there is a diagram with the boat, but it still looks like a job for a ringmaster with 5 or 6 trained gorillas! especially making sure all the internal electrical wiring is good BEFORE the mast goes up! I've never done this, but what the heck, I've never driven in rush hour traffic (the kind where you're in a herd of wildabeests moving fast) in San Diego either before this year, it wasn't such a much! just need reflexes like a hungry cheetah & 6 sets of eyes front & back, all moving at once- nothing to it really! (of course, the experience is much enhanced on gen-uine San Diegan COFFEE- is that what surfers drink?)
I have to replace the halyards & sheets, but the wire rigging is in great condition. The boat needs some cosmetic stuff- clean up, sand the teak, put some non-skid in that area of the cabin just before the forepeak bunk, which is angled and slippery as heck! Once the mast is up, then comes the next biggest job- figuring out how all the systems and electronics work!
Bellingham seems like a good place to launch a boat, anyways- two yacht clubs and lots of sailboats, should be able to find the lines, hardware & help I need. Anyone in that area? Shannon of course!! I'd love to meet some of you Contessa folks! I will be down there most of April, in a motel until the boat is launched, (hopefully early april) then a few weeks getting everything up & running and getting to know the boat.
Take care everyone, hope you all are having a good spring! I hear flowers are even growing in Bellingham- here in Kodiak we have snow, sleet, wind and most days, more wind. sun was out for 1/2 hour today!

Re: Mast raising party, anyone?

Welcome back to Contessa ownership! I'm in Toronto, so unfortunately I won't be making it out there, but I am excited for you!

Congratulations!  You will have fun with your new boat!

Thanks guys! I am excited- if a bit worn down from all the planning and logistics. I love having the internet though! I found some guys in Bellingham that will help me with the mast & electronics- instead of trying to raise the thing, they have access to a crane that sounds affordable and once the boat is launched, can lower the mast down & help set it up. They work with sailboat rigging and roller furling systems & best of all, only cost $45/hour! add to that they are very helpful- I always take it as a good sign when they are willing to use thier little pickup w/a V6 engine to help me if they can, even tow my boat from the shop to the launch site! for a fee, I'm sure- but much smaller fee than a Marina would charge.
Thankfully most of the things on this boat are pretty turnkey- until I turn the key Heh! big_smile We used to have a list of sounds you DONT want to hear when starting a boat, and the first one was- nothing. Silence is not a good sign....
I will be keeping a ship's log of all events and also I have a notebook of all the contacts/workers/storage/marinas etc that I end up using, for future reference to anyone in that area.
Sometime in the future (may be a year or two!) I hope to fly over to the east coast again to visit some old friends, perhaps I will get to meet you Canada/East Coast folks then! When I do go, I will be renting a car and driving all over that country, as well as up to Canada. I have a friendly GPS for the car, although I hope the one on the boat doesn't talk to me like she does- "go right!" "go left!" when you go straight instead.... "recalculating..."

Ok, first time round 'Pro' assistance can be well worth paying for, but you need to check and inspect *everything* you can before handing the job over to them, and make sure you observe and take notes.

Before my mast was first stepped, I spotted a cracked tang on the masthead fitting for the forestay that the rigger had missed when preparing the mast for storage the previous season and also a toggle below the furling drum with the wrong sized pin that had obviously been that way for a number of seasons.  The toggle was replaced to match the hole size at the bottom of the furler and the one on the stay plate on the bow and the masthead fitting was reinforced and welded.

Inspect the standing rigging as best as you can. It really needs to be off the mast to do it right.  Wearing heavy LEATHER gloves, coil each stay in a fairly large diameter coil and look for 'meathooks' (ends of broken wires).  Any found is an instant fail for that stay AND the same stay on the opposite side which must be assumed to be the same age and had the same wear.  If more than one stay has a broken strand, replace the lot.  Inspect terminal fittings closely. any visible damage or if bent, condemn the stay (unless its a replaceable fitting like a Norseman or Sta-lock).  Remember, wire rigging can look perfect until you bend it and a broken wire end pops out.

Check all blocks and sheaves, lubricate where appropriate and make sure that at least two masthead halyards are in good enough condition to trust with your life when you have to go up the mast.

I also replaced the VHF aerial, mount and lead (they'd lost the wind hawk off it and the mount was loose) and cleaned the lenses, contacts and connections + fitted new bulbs toall the lights up the mast.   Replace the VHF cable if the old one is over 5 years old or of uncertain age or if there is any evidence of wear, damage or corrosion.  The aerial itself is probably OK if it appears to be in good condition and can be swapped out  in 1/2 an hour from a bosun's chair.    Lights should be tested using a 12V battery (or lead from a car cigarette lighter socket) and a lead with clips you can connect to the wires or plugs and an in-line 5A fuse to protect against shorts,

If you know how to use a multimeter (and every skipper should), measure the resistance of every up-mast circuit at the plug or connector  (from the (switched) 12V feed to the 0V return) with the new bulbs installed and record it in your maintenance log.  Its a big help when fault-finding in future to know you *DONT* need to climb the mast!  Also check the resistance to the mast itself.  There should be no circuit. Any under a couple of Megohms has faulty insulation and needs fixing (except the VHF cable which may be grounded to the masthead via the aerial mount, If so it should read under 20 ohms to the mast and no circuit with the connector removed from the aerial and mount.  Record all wire colours, plug pin-outs and connections in your maintenance log.

Masthead instruments cannot be easily checked.  If you can disconnect the masthead unit easily, the cable can be checked wire by wire for shorts and continuity or if you can get the mast heel over your coach roof, you can hook them up and do a functional check.

You are paying  these guys by the hour and if they find any problems will be paying them for repairs.  They will obviously do a standard inspection of anything they rig, but will NOT do preventative maintenance unless you ask for it and having them do everything wont get you familiar with your rig which you need to be for your own safety.  Its worth paying them to check and service (if required) the furler.

Thanks for all the helpful info Ian Malcom! I printed out the page & will go over as much as I can before getting the mast stepped. I've checked some of the things already, and had some friends point out more things to check. Always more!
I do want to not only be familiar with my rig, but know how to fix it myself as much as possible. My lists just keep getting longer, as time gets shorter.... at least, unlike family or spouses, boats don't talk back. They just demand more money and time....
I have never used a roller furling system - can you tell me, do you attach the sail BEFORE stepping the mast/roller furler setup, or should this be done once the mast and furling system is all set up and standing? also, is the top of the sail to be furled attached to the furling unit, or to a halyard? I apologize if this is listed in another thread, I'm still looking.  Thanks very much in advance, and for all your help! Dusty

Dusty

You will love your roller furling... especially on those cold and wet rolling sails... hoist the sail after its all up and tight..

all the best
jose

8 (edited by KodiakGirl 2010-03-21 16:35:58)

Thanks Jose! I assume then that the top of the sail is indeed attached to a halyard? I can't wait to get it all set up! Actually I can't wait to just get on the plane, once I'm there it will be all go! Here's another one for you: There are two jibsails:  a 150% genoa & a 110% working jib- which do you recomend that I put on the furler? or does the 150% go on there, and the working jib is just for extra/ or on a seperate halyard? Thanks!  Dusty

9 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2010-03-23 00:39:36)

The Genoa will go on the furler as standard, but the working jib almost certainly replaces it for heavy weather rather than setting on a separate stay.  Except for light weather downwind passages wing and wing you *dont* want to set a jib 'flying' and a permanent stay less than 1' from the furler would be a total PITA.

You can reef by furling by about 30-40% before the sail shape gets so bad you are better off with it rolled right up, so, while in harbour, you hoist then furl the right one for the forecast then hope the forecast is accurate.  Its a pain to do at sea because when you drop the sail, the luff comes totally free from the furler and it has to be fully unfurled first.  Not too bad if changing up, but you *DONT* want to be changing down due to deteriorating weather especially as its a two person job and *someone* has to go right forward to feed the sail into the furler.  I wouldn't take that duty in bad weather without a drysuit and full safety harness. 

I try to stay off the foredeck in heavy weather unless the  foresail is either stowed or drawing on a reach (close to broad). There is a high chance of getting a face full of jibsheet and I heard a distress call a few years back after a crew member on another boat got a loop round the neck.  Dont know if they survived.

With most furlers the head of the sail goes on a swivel on the furler and the swivel is hoisted by the halyard.  It is essential that the swivel goes nearly all the way to the top as otherwise the halyard tends to catch on and wrap round the furler foil and forestay which, if you dont notice, can easily damage the furler and if you force it further can damage the forestay.  If one of the sails has a shorter luff than the other it should have a strop at the head so the swivel hoists fully.

There is at least one older brand of furler that doesn't use a swivel.  Instead it has a block at the top of the foil with a hayard cleated off at the bottom of the foil that turns with it.  As you cant have a bunch of line there with the sail up, the halyard tail is detachable.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated! I'm learning in leaps and bounds! (Did I say halyard? smile ) Far as I know, the boat has only one forestay, not sure the furler set up except it is a Profurl R25 -I havent had time to read up on it as I've been too busy with everything else. Once I am in Bellingham, plan is to unwrap the whole set up and see what goes where, what needs replaced etc.
I heard that if you leave the larger sail on the furler in heavy wx, it catches alot of wind and can be hard on the forestay. I also talked to an offshore singlehander who said he just wrapped the hell out of it with the jib sheets and extra lines when the weather turned foul. Do you ever put a storm jib on the furler system? I suppose the working jib IS the storm sail on a furler system?
Once the boat is launched & mast up, I can pick a nice day and pull up & take down each sail in turn, see how they all fit, & figure out the reefing set up before heading out to practice sailing. One thing I don't have is a storm mainsail, I hope to get one in Washington or BC.
So, anyone (everyone!) - what kinds of harness do YOU use to go up the mast, any particular recommendations? the one I looked at was in West Marine,   SPINLOCK  Deckware Mast Harness Only $179.99 USD  - what do you think of that one? there is also a Top Climber Climbing Harness in which you use your legs mostly, with a line jammer, that looks pretty handy, but that one is nearly $500- yikes  There are alot of Marine stores in Washington state, so I hope to get better prices by shopping around. Any input on this would be great, I'd rather get a good harness BEFORE going up the mast, heh!

Hello All,
a quick update:
Today (April 10) we got the mast up! And after all my worries, it wasn't bad at all! we used the set up that the previous owner had used, with the boom, a trailer winch and misc. lines placed just right. Add to the mix 2 stout handlers to hold the side stays & keep the mast from side-to side wavering, and there you have it! We haven't launched yet, but are hoping for this Monday. Later on, probably once I'm home in Kodiak a few months away, I will put together the whole logistical set-up for the mast raising, complete with photos and diagram, and post it, so folks can see one boat's way of doing it. (I'll post it in the mast-raising thread where it should be! big_smile sorry for cramming everything in here!) I found a wonderful boatyard guy to help me out, he on his own checked all the great info that Malcom X (thanks so much for your advice & info!!) told me to check, and all is in good shape- just a bit of scraping out terminals & battery connections for minor corrosion. the stay cables were good & continuity in the mast was fine. All 4 lights up the mast (including the strobe light!) and the VHF antennae all work too. so up went the mast, we idled the engine a bit (without the water pump belt on- but put it BACK on when we turned off the engine! these little things so easy to forget....). We have alot to do once the boat is launched, including changing the oil antifreeze and transmission fluids. I am learning a lot and started a log for the engine including serial numbers and parts list, and one for the rigging. It would have been very nice if the previous owner (two owners back that is) would have done this!  I still have a few weeks to take care of all these things, and it can rain all it wants, thats what a tarp is for!! I can't wait till next week- I may be out sailing by Tuesday!! Exciting!
I won't be posting much over the next month or so, as I wont have steady internet, and sometimes not at all. So have a great spring everyone, and if you don't have a boat or can't get yours launched for awhile, try to get a ride with some one and get out sailing!! its a wonderful tonic...