Topic: Replacement 'tail pipe'

2 (edited by MCo26 2010-03-25 16:08:13)

Re: Replacement 'tail pipe'

Robert,

It look like it's the cutlass bearing and it's support.

The bearing is the internal part and it could be remove, the external look fine.

When i removed my cutlass bearing i used a metal rod of the same size and punch it until it was removed. TAKE NOTE that the cutlass bearing is (usually) fix to the external part with 2 to 3 smalls screws and the screw could be remove with an allen key.

So, first unscrew the bearing, punch the bearing out the sleeve, and buy another bearing. It's strange that your local boat shop did'nt know about this.

Before going to a marine store, measure the diameter of the prop shaft and bring the bearing and the support with you. The clerck at the store will need the parts for ordering the correct size of the bearing.

Marc

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

Thanks a million for the information Marc! I've found loads on cutlass bearings now that I know what it is called.

Robert

seems like a bit of an odd setup on the contessa, having an external tailpiece instead of an embedded stern tube.  the prop aperture must be huge!

5 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2010-03-30 15:11:41)

Ian

Am I ever glad you are here... I always enjoy reading your expertise advice... THANKS
josé

Ian,
thank you for the really detailed information. This is my first boat so I'm a little new to this stuff. When I had it surveyed before I bought it the surveyor noted that the piece should be replaced due to the pink spots you pointed out. As well as mailing this group I mailed Jeremy Rogers and got a nice reply saying that if I send my piece off to them they'll have a look and quote me for repair or refurbishment. The item is in the post on the way to them now.
I can't remember what material the bolts were holding the housing on. When I took them out I remember they came out very easily and the holes were full of silkaflex type stuff. I hadn't considered the material of these before, well pointed out. I'll have another look before I attempt to mount the piece again.

Robert