Topic: Contessa 26 vs. Halcyon 27

Hi Everybody,

Long story short.  I am a cruiser who swallowed the hook for a girl in Norway, seperated, and now looking for a boat to take off in 2-3 years and not look back.  Without going to the UK for an extended vacation to compare these boats, I would like  to hear community opinion.  What is the difference between these two boats for extended cruising?  The route is from Norway to the Caribbean and maybe beyond.  Is it just standing headroom?  The prices on the net are roughly the same.

Re: Contessa 26 vs. Halcyon 27

Well, I think you'll find a strong bias here toward the Contessa 26 smile

I personally don't know enough about the Halcyon 27. I do know there are several Atlantic crossings under their belts, and that they have more headroom, but otherwise I can't really offer a good opinion in terms of construction quality/durability/seaworthiness/etc.

The Contessa 26 has a very respectable pedigree, and is a fantastic boat for singlehanding.

Well as a new owner I am very happy to get a launch date for friday then sail the  contessa back to Toronto from Hamilton ( hopefully the weather forcast for lots of rain will be wrong ), and attend to all the odds and ends I wish to do - new shore power panel- install a vent in the fore hatch and give her a good clean.
I have enjoyed reading all the advice and tips and general posting  its a great site   thank you

We are happy to help!

Enjoy your maiden voyage. The trip from Hamilton to Toronto is a pleasant one.

Thanks for your good wishes  forcast is for 20knt winds would you recommend a reef  , have never sailed a 26 before and suspect putting a reef in whilst its blowing is not that easy with the narrow deck ??   Phil

Contessas are quite tender and like to be reefed early.  Put the reef in at the dock, not that it's too hard reefing under way.  In 20 knots, you'll certainly need a reef if the wind is forward of abeam, and have an easier time steering if the wind and waves are following.  Take it easy, get to know the boat and gear, and enjoy your first trip!  You can always shake the reef out if you don't need it. 

John

Thank you John  much appreciate your advice  Phil

I agree -- no harm reefing at the dock, especially for maiden voyage.  If conditions turn light then it will be easy to shake it out again.  Similarly, for 20 knots you may want the working jib instead of the big genoa.

Christopher

Thanks Christopher  in fact the weather is getting worse now forcasting 25plus knts so I think I will await a break in the weather the boat has a furling jib but the main is elderly and I dont want to blow a sail out  2meter waves and a force six is hard work !!  Phil