Topic: Engine replacement for the Contessa

My 1975 Contessa came to me this season with a 6.6 Diesel Petter.  Great engine, starts every time, but there are issues and I assume the engine is getting up there; likly an original.  The exhaust hose split, the Trans wil not go into gear easily unless I start to power off as I shift into gear, muffler came apart, etc etc....typical I guess.
I am aware that many engines fit a Contessa but am looking for sound advice to repower the boat.  Of course I have seen lots of Single Cylinder Yanmar out there (and they are now out of production as of this summer). 
I am considering the new Beta engine , Twin, 10 Horsepower made by Kubota. 
Any info is appreciated and of course anyone with an engine to sell is welcomed to reply; I will purchase across Canada or the Eastern States.

Thanks  paul

Re: Engine replacement for the Contessa

Congratulations on your boat!

I too have the Petter engine and am pleased with it too. 

The transmission is a worry -- maybe the cables are out of adjustment?  If so you are blessed by an inexpensive fix.  If not the cables, plan on disconnecting it and bringing it ashore for service over the winter.  A warning though -- I tried disconnecting my shaft coupling a couple of years ago (and mine's a fresh water boat) and found that all the bolts were frozen solid.  I spend a day fighting with it and decided that I really did not need to disconnect things after all.  wink  Getting your transmission out sounds may be much easier said than done.

Your exhaust system may be original to the boat -- it's only 35 years young so problems are not unexpected.  Were it me I would order a new Vetus exhaust system.  The Vetus stuff works great and comes up on eBay regularly.  I went from no muffler two a new dual chamber unit and the noise difference was incredible -- well worth the effort.  The hose will be expensive but, as you've discovered, you need it and need it to be right.

Here's a thought:  even if you buy the Beta, you will still need to replace your exhaust system so you may as well start there and go sailing. smile 

The Beta you are considering is a fine engine -- the two cylinder will be smoother than the Petter and have more power too.  However, replacing any engine is not for the faint of heart -- you could spend thousands of dollars on this project and it will suck up time! 

No doubt others here may have much more to say on the subject. 

Good luck!

Re: Engine replacement for the Contessa

Hi Paul
Bought Contessa nu.305 spring 2009. Boat is described on marketplace section. It has a Beta 13 installed in 2006. Motor is quiet, has always started on first try and has enough power to push through foul weather although I would not recommend going any smaller. All told I think a Beta is a good choice.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool