Topic: Contessa 26 vs Dana 24

Hi: 

A question for debate - if you where going to do some extended cruising, would you take the Contessa 26 or go for a Dana 24?

Now I really enjoy my Contessa 26 and have had a great time sailing her and doing small trips in the 1000 Islands.  I have never sailed a Dana 24 so do not know how she performs.

To get Morava ready for a long cruise I am looking at retro-fitting her for approximately $40,000 CAD.  Compare that to getting a used Dana in good shape for approximately $50,000 CAD.  A brand new Dana with the basics starts at $149,000 USD. 

So any views - what are the considerations?

I thing the Contessa marginally sails better (and of course that is also up to the Skipper), but the Dana has a better layout down below.

Just some thoughts.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Contessa 26 vs Dana 24

ivan

I only know the Dana from drooling over pics of her on the net and I have never equipped a boat for extensive cruising. With that said here are my ramblings on the subject...

The Dana,appears to me at least,to be one of  the great pocket, long distance cruisers. Strongly built, a full cabin(including head room) and a full galley. I suspect that she has as much if not more usable room than the co26. If money were not an issue than she would be a beautiful and practical boat to take you just about anywhere. Unfortunately money is usually an issue. I would argue that from a practical stand point an Alberg 29 or co32 would be a better choice. Yes they are larger but they cost no more(purchase price) than a Dana 24  and are still small enough to solo sail. I re-call seeing two Alberg 29's for sale(in Ontario) earlier this summer for 28-35,000$ both well maintained and well equipped. As well there is currently a co32 for sale, again in Ontario, for approx 45,000. Again well equipped.
I wonder from the stand point of having to sell a Dana 24, at some point it the future, are you running the risk of buying a boat that has a limited market here in Ontario? I don't know for certain but there can't be many people willing to buy a 40-50,000$ 24 ft boat. Pure speculation on my part but something to consider I think.
Don't get me wrong, I would speculate that the Dana 24 is everything that the co26 is and then some. But how much further ahead will you be from the stand point of having a fully equipped boat, for off shore use, by replacing the co26 with a Dana 24?
I would think that the Dana 24 demands a higher price because they are a "better" built than the co26 not because they are better equipped. With that said money invested to equip a Dana 24 would be more of an investment than money spent equipping a co26, again speculation on my part, but you don't see too many co26's listing for more than 15,0000$ and you don't see many Dana 24's listing for under 40,000$

So to answer your question, in theory, money aside, the Dana with out question, but in reality the co26  just because my pay check isn't big enough to consider the Dana.

John

The problem being is that most Co26's are just that - 20 to 30 year old boats that have seen regular or minimal maintenance with no upgrades/updates to original systems.  Mediocre repower jobs, shoddy electrical work, etc etc.   Nobody is getting into boating as it is, and the few that are want a party barge with no backstay and less than 600 hrs on the engine.........   As long as you can get past not being able to stand up, the Contessa is quite a comfortable boat in the sub 26' range.  More storage than most (all below the waterline) and sails quite well.  I used to worry about being slow - so far have pretty much held my own in "racing" (two boats heading the same way...)  and have outpointed and kept pace with a C&C 27, bigger Hunter (no challenge.....) and a few others.  On corrected time, look out!

NO question - they are small belowdecks.  I'm in agreement that for the 50 000 budget range, there are quite a few boats that would do the job faster, roomier, drier, and look better than the Dana.

The Dana is pretty and would turn heads as you enter the harbour.  I suspect the wide Dana is a little slower than our slender Contessas.  Interesting to look at both boats -- each has classic shapes and configurations.  They are also scale models of the originals.  Wouldn't a Contessa 52 (a doubling of our current boats) be a spectacular machine?

I've said it elsewhere but in my opinion the key to a great offshore cruising boat is comfort.  Were it me with an additional $40k to work with I would be definitely increasing in size.  In general larger boats are more stable in waves, are drier, safer and sail faster.  Standing headroom on a long trip is so nice.  In addition, larger boats are often already better equipped than smaller boats and any required upgrades would cost about the same.  For example, a Cape Horn wind vane costs about the same for both 26' and 36' boats. 

I would look seriously at the intended trip and ask if I could do it without pouring money into the boat.  If I want a boat to sail from island to island do I really need a boat that can sail for six months out of sight of land?  I agree with Lin & Larry Pardey on this one -- go small and go now.  You can have the most tricked-out boat imaginable but if it takes you 10 years and thousands and thousands of dollars to get to the beginning of the voyage then what is the point? 

It is fashionable, particularly in the trade press, to poo-poo boats and systems which are not "current".  We often panic that our boat's systems are not up to "standard".  Standards have their place but it is important to recognize that many of our boats have served well for the last 30 years and continue to do so for a few more years more without changes/upgrades.

So in answer to your question, I would cut $30k out of the upgrade budget and put it into the acquisition budget.  Or if you are comfortable with "camping" aboard the Contessa then put $10k into the Contessa and bank the rest as spending money for the trip.  Wouldn't a hot shower and a good meal in a posh hotel be great after a bad passage?

Christopher

<<<   It is fashionable, particularly in the trade press, to poo-poo boats and systems which are not "current".  We often panic that our boat's systems are not up to "standard".  Standards have their place but it is important to recognize that many of our boats have served well for the last 30 years and continue to do so for a few more years more without changes/upgrades.   >>>

There are a few things that have changed over the last 30 years or so too.  Standards are important, of course, but moreover is common sense.  I've spent a few good years restoring my Contessa 26.  She still lacks : radar, house wiring, chartplotter, fridge, new cushions, speedo/depth, a second battery,  etc etc and a few other minor inconveniences not worth mentioning.  For th4 e first 1.5 seasons, I hand cranked the engine...........

She has : new standing rigging all sta-loks; wilcox crittenden imperial 51 head rebuilt (me) and newly installed; 1990 yanmar 1gm10 rebuilt (me again); deck (rotten, really rotten) recored with all cleats, pulpit bases, fwd stanchion bases all in solid glass; ports; cockpit floor panels modded; new bulkdheads and proper compression posts, masthead casting reinforced, stemhead tang remade in stainless, ALL old green crusty seized gate valves replaced w/ bronze ball valves and thru hulls rebedded........  etc etc.

By today's "standards" she's draconian.  Not "current" - obsolete and uncomfortable.   But she's 1) Safe, 2) Dry, 3) Comfortable (by me, wife, dog. so far....)  .  Gate valves are a perfect example of somethings that have lasted for 30 years, but really shouldn't be around anymore.  Just because "its lasted this long" doesn't mean it was right in the first place, and there are a few key areas that I would address before taking any boat (new or old) anywhere.

7 (edited by john_co26 2010-09-23 05:29:20)

Very useful considerations - I agree that "going now" is a good philosophy and a bigger boat would be more comfortable.  And I do like the look of the 32's and I am for not puring my very small cash reserves into the boat.

While I like to look at the Dana's and the 32's, my gut is to stick with Morava, as the ownership cost is already sunk in her, plus the small improvements I have made and perhaps as a start all I really need is the costs of good self steering gear - and perhaps replacing my engine - then of course I can go nuts with the list of nice things to have ;-)

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I guess the question is: where are you going! smile

The Co26 is a proven world-cruiser. If you can handle her deficiencies (no headroom, cramped quarters) you'll be fine.

Here here Stefan!  Common sense!  I agree that it is important to fix what is broken or seized or impractical.   And of course plug all the leaks. 

I just think that we sometimes go overboard refurbishing, fixing things that are not broken (my handsome bronze portlights are an example of overboard on my boat -- hours of effort for what amounts to what was there before).  When I wrote the entry above I was picturing rewiring the light at the stem of the boat, not because it wasn't working, but because I got it into my head that I needed to replace all the old wires with tinned stuff.  Having re-plumbed and re-tanked and re-wired and re-placed many parts of my boat, I derive a certain personal satisfaction from the completed jobs but am very much aware that I have missed out on a lot of sailing...

Yup I agree that we all have some sort of boat sickness.  ONly thing to go is batten down for winter, grab a few issues of "Good Old Boat" to get the fix, and hope for an early spring!

Ah all good advice . and right now I am just doing the typical thing of dreaming as to where I hope to go ; -)

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan I sailed a lot of Co 32`s out of the joint services sailing in the uk and whilst they are small below compared to a lot of modern boats I did several long trips with a crew of 4  and I suppose not being used to anything else they seemed pretty comfortable-  they sail like a dream and are beautiful to look at I never felt unsafe in almost any kind of weather in them  including bashing round the bay of Biscay in a storm  but for me the 26 is ideal , mooring fees etc etc  and although I go aboard a cs 30 (my dock mate) quite often and do love the space dont want to pay the mooring fees !!   Phil

I agree about the mooring fees - that is why I was also curious about the Dana 24 and while I still love my Contessa 26 ; -)

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Yes, we are all ill with some sort of boat sickness, LOL....having said that, I love the Dana's too, and was looking at them...they are about twice to three times the price, so many times: if I have $20k on me, I buy what I can....if I had $50k, I would buy a Dana...but since I am a "spares, and lots 'uv 'em"....as well as a tool fanatic (yes, for a girl, I have any and all tools you can imagine! ;-)  I need to carry all my extra parts and "just in case" stuff...so if the Dana can hold it all...that would be my pic.

and, I am a hopeless romantic: the Bristol Channel Cutter would be my next pick: a fibreglass one that needed TLC obviously as that is only way you can get one for $50k...unless the economy stays like crap...or get wooden...been there, done that, will tell all later...

I just do not like boats larger than about 28 feet, I lose touch with them.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”