Topic: Displacement

Good day all!

I am brainstorming my way towards a new trailer and am trying to pin down the weights.  The advertised displacement for our Contessas is 5400 lbs.  What I don't know is what (if anything) is included in this 5400 lbs.  Sails, food, fuel, clothes, etc. 

Has anyone passed a weigh scale to check the actual weight of their boat?

The reason I am trying to pin this down has to do with the selection of trailer axles.  A pair of 3500 lb axles will support 7000 lbs.  Alternatively I go up one level and work with relatively stiff 5200 lb axles.  I will probably end up with the heavier wheel sets but I wondered if I have the option.

Many thanks!

Christopher

Re: Displacement

Christopher

I can't answer your question, but to tell you what you all ready know. 5400 lb's is displacement weight no extra's on board.
With that said I have a thought for you.
I recently built a trailer for my dirtbike, using torsion axles. If my memory serves correctly I bought the lightest I could find, about 600 lbs per side, for a total of 1200 pounds. My bike weighs 325 lbs and the trailer another 100 plus pounds. So the axles were heavier than I needed or wanted. The trailer is too stiff, it tends to bounce around a bit, simply because the bike weighs too little for the trailer.
Something to keep in mind when you "size" out the axles for the boat, a trailer bouncing around a bit while holding a 325 lb bike, strapped down is one thing but a trailer holding a 5400 lb boat that bounces is a whole different story.

Just some food for thought, I know next to nothing about sizing axles beyond the experience mentioned above.

John

Re: Displacement

Thanks John!  I was worried about bottoming out if I go too light but now you've given me something else to consider.