Topic: Possible Deck Stepped Mast Problems

New member and first time poster. Considering a purchase of a Contessa JJ Taylor 26 1984. It is in above average condition but it stepped deck mast appears to have been reset and worked on. The liner under the step in the cabin shows some deformation. Also appears to be a repair/ding around one of mast steps near the deck. Owner is clueless to causes. Asking price is about 15000. Is this step problem a deal breaker?

Re: Possible Deck Stepped Mast Problems

If sailed hard, the deck under the mast can flex down a bit. Not a real problem. I installed a 2.5x2.5 inch beam under the mast inside the cabin that bolts to the top of the bulkheads. Not really an issue for normal sailing. I have never heard of a Contessa having a serious issue from this. Only slight flexing that requires the rigging to be tighten after the first hard sail.
My liner has some deformation as well, but since the deck is not deformed, I think it is caused by trying to fit in a thin large one piece liner that is not structurally glued to the deck rather that resulting from stresses after construction.

Re: Possible Deck Stepped Mast Problems

the liner in my 74 has deformed, i did notice the first season that once sailed a bit hard i had to retune the rig.  originally when i restored the boat i glassed in compression blocks where the bulkhead meets the floor, using the teak posts as compression posts - this wasn't enough so the next year i built "the beam", notched the posts and installed it.  no issues now, i would say that it is a necessary fix on these boats