Topic: Which Contessa to buy?

Re: Which Contessa to buy?

I would go with the 1985. I repowered with a Yanmar 1GM10 in 2002. It is the perfect size, power and weight for my 1980 Contessa. I hear the 1GM10 is no longer for sale in the U.S. because they smoke too much. Parts are easily available and my Yanmar is super dependable.
toots

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

So I thought I'd let everyone know that I'm the new owner of the 1972 Contessa 26 mentioned in my earlier post. I got the boat surveyed and it is fantastic condition which many system and structural improvements. I look forward to officially joining this community of Contessa owners as I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time on this site learning about the ins and outs of my new boat.

Congratulations, and welcome to the fold. Any questions you have, post them here, and I'm sure they'll get answered. Be sure to add lots of pictures to the gallery, too!

You are going to have such a good summer sailing! I miss my Contessa more and more every year. Never sailed anything so wonderful.

BMJNYC

Congrats!!

Enjoy the season!!

John

Congrats, and you absolutely made the right choice. Firstly, the 1972 was clearly a labor of love for the owner, which is one of two things that can negate the age factor, (the other is lots of money).

Perhaps more importantly, the boat being advertised as a 1985 most certainly is not. While it looks like it's had reasonably good care, it's clearly pre-1983, and most likely mid 1970's.

I agree with 100%. The prior owner has done and incredible job, the surveyor told me he was amazed. Now it's mine to preserve for future owners. Would what makes you think it's not and 85? The only thing I wish I had that newer boats have is an anchor locker...but I aint complaing!

I had an interesting discussion with a surveyor.  He believes that 6HP is fine for a CO26.  The cost of re-powering is pretty high vs. the value of an older boat.  (I know because I looked at doing it as I have an outboard).  If my surveyor friend is right then you should stick with the 6HP.  I have another friend with a 34', full keel, home-built.  A great, heavy thing and he has a 4HP!  He says as long as you are willing to give up a knot or two, it's fine to go with a small engine.

That what I figured, good to here a confirmation, thanks!

I have a Yanmar 10hp and can do 5.5kt at cruise power (8hp ?). If I throttle back to 4.2kt then fuel consumption drops by half. So you can assume I am using about 4hp to go 4.2kt.

Hallo all.
I'm very new to sailing and new to the forum.  I've been mooning over the Contessa 26 since back in the early 80's when they first caught my eye and am now in a place where time and money allow me to finally pursue the dream.  Already joined a club here in Hamilton, Ontario and will be doing a few courses this summer and fall to learn my way around.  My goal is to buy in the early autumn after spending some time on the water this summer crewing for others.  To be honest, I'm already checking out a few Contessas that are listed locally and hoping a nice one can wait for me.  Looking forward to added inspiration and maybe  occassional helpfull information here.

Welcome to the community. I own one of the Contessas moored at Harbour West in Hamilton. Anytime you'd like to come have a look at a work in progress let me know.

Cheers
                                                   John

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

Welcome!

I think you'll find the Contessa a very wonderful little ship. I certainly loved mine.