Topic: Handheld GPS

Hello,

I trying to figure out which handheld GPS unit to purchase and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the selection. Does anyone have a device they are happy with that they might recommend? Thanks!

Re: Handheld GPS

I use a Lowrance H2Oc and am quite happy with it even with the chart memory chips being a bit pricey. It's more like a handheld chartplotter, is waterproof and in color.

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

I still have my Garmin GPS76MAP that I had on both my Contessa and my Alberg. Handheld unit, nothing particularly fancy. But it does tell me where I am.

My iPhone does remarkably well.

Hi
My mind was set on a Garmin Oregon300 as I thought that touchscreen was hip. I did not really want to believe the comments of the geocachers stating that the screen was more difficult to see(glare) than the <<traditionnal>> GPS76 Map. I wish I had heed the concerns. If I had a chance to replay I would go push button.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

i have a 76csx (most modern piece of gear on the boat) with the blue chart for Canada.  love it, works great.  only thing is electronic compass is unreliable (duH) unless she's 100% horizontal.

All of the 76 series Garmin models are pretty good if you don't need hard-core chart plotting capabilities.

thanks all for the input!

I'm a little late in responding to your query but I've always thought that the Garmin eTrex Legend H would be more than suitable for your purposes.  It's a small b&w mini chartplotter which has a high sensitivity meaning that you can use it down below without fear of losing contact with the sattelites.  I'm comfortable with this model and if you compare it with the other models for the price (CDN$ 145.00), I think you'll agree that it's an excellent choice.  What's more, it's waterproof, has USB connectivity and lasts for 18 hours on 2 AA batteries. 

Having said that, I'll reiterate that you should still know  and practise  traditional modes of navigation concurrently with your GPS in case the unit malfunctions as all of them sometimes do at inopportune times.  Use the unit only to check how good your ded reckoning skills are.  JC

Thank you for your input, I will have a looks at the eTrex, I agree about using traditional modes of navigation. I'm new to all this but have signed up for a navigation this summer..

I really only use the gps to see if I'm catching up with my little brother in his cc24, althoug last season he only beat me once ...