Topic: Sailing to from Lake Ontario to Long Island NY

I plan on sailing my new Contessa from Lake Ontario home to Orient Point, Long Island in New York. I will be going down the Erie Canal > Hudson > New York City > Long Island Sound. I wondering if anyone has done a similar itinerary and might have some insight to share. I'm particularly interested on how long it might take me to reach New York City from Brighton Ontario > Oswego > the Erie Canal?  Thanks!

Re: Sailing to from Lake Ontario to Long Island NY

Hi bmjnyc,

I haven't done that route yet, but am considering doing it in reverse this summer if I bring my boat back to the Great Lakes.  After my experience on the rivers I can recommend the Skipper Bob guidebooks as reasonably priced, good sources of information for this route.  Maybe I'll see you on the way!

Best,

Barry

#331- Cavendysh
"Fait de ta vie un rêve, et d'un rêve une realité."- Antoine de Saint Exupery

I've heard good things about the Skipper Bob guidebooks on other forums. I've never looked into them, but I mean to when I have a boat again.

There's also a book called the Down East Circle by Capt. Cheryl Barr.  I bought it for a winter read and it was really good.  It covers times and distances, info about locks, etc.  It's for both doers and dreamers.

Thanks for this input. I'll check out all the afore mentioned books.

I did the route from NY city to Lake Ontario (Osewgo) and it took 7 days. I had a crew with me to help in the locks but it could be done solo if required. Th locks in the US are very good without much turbulence. Not a difficult trip, just lots of boring motoring. Rig up a tarp over the cockpit to protect you from the sun and rain. I used the electric auto pilot 95% of the time. I put a piece of 2x8 wood across the cockpit so that I could comfortably sit and still see over the dodger and reach the course correction buttons on the autopilot.

I was wondering how long it would take me to get down to NYC. Thanks for 2x8 wood idea, just added it to my to do list..