Topic: Ball sockets in spreaders

Tiny Dancer's Previous Owner to the 5th power (only one left to find- can you believe 5 out of 6 are in Homer, Alaska?) is wondering if there have been any replacements for the ball sockets in the spreaders for the shrouds?  Can anyone tell me about this?

Re: Ball sockets in spreaders

Are these ball sockets on the outboard ends? Between the spreader tube and the shrould? The 1970s Contessas have a plug with a slot to hold the shrould.

I too have the ball sockets, the 80s boats must have (Kristin is '83? I am '84.just starting to examine all my rigging...Kristin do you mean "should" they be replaced, and when?!  I too wonder....anyone?  I read that you can just clean the ball sockets...but what if they are fatigued/cracked?

Not sure, haven't been up to check it all out...

My mast is down, as boat is on hard right now, and I will be examining mine very closely....just waiting for the rain and snow!!! and wind to stop....wind is no good when one is on the hard!  I am going to do the "dye test" and see if there are any cracks or anything...if in doubt, I will replace, but will likely chatter on about it before I do, and will let everyone know of my discoveries!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”