Topic: Prop vs Shaft on a Contessa

Hi,   I have installed a new 1GM10 to the boat, new fuel tank, muffler etc and have more or less replaced every system and wire and cable in the boat.

I discoved that the 10x10 LH prop that was on the boat was cracked all the way thru.
I located a used 13x10 7/8 inch  and had it milled down to 11x11 and I thought I was ready to go. 

It did not fit; I was later told that the Contessa has a taper on the shaft that does not fit a North American prop. 
It appearantly is a Europeon design ??????

As I said I replaced everything on the boat ,but not the shaft.  I am hoping to keep this shaft and newer prop with more modification to make it fit?

Can anyone commnet on this or offer advice to fix this. 
A new prop is about $450 - $750 quoted in NS and I assume a new shaft is not that much????

thanks

Re: Prop vs Shaft on a Contessa

How doesn't it fit?  If it goes right on but wobbles, there isn't a lot that can be done.  If it  doesn't go on then either the shaft or prop could be machined to fit.    If the shaft is original, you should probably replace it anyway or at least  get it checked for wear and cracks.  If you need to change the shaft, expect to replace the coupling at the gearbox end as well!

You *MAY* be able to get enough extra length to re-cut the taper even if it wobbles if you don't already have a flexible coupling by installing one between the gearbox and shaft.

BTDT :-)

Ian