Topic: Head Sail Traveller

Good day all!

I picked up some beautiful bronze traveller stock on eBay a while back and I am thinking about how to mount it.  Unfortunately I was only able to purchase about 10' in two sections.  I have two sets of cars so I just need to think about the installation now.

Given that what I have is less than what most of us have on our boats, where do you position your jib cars?  Do you USE the whole length or do you just have a few areas depending on which sail you are using?

Thanks!

Christopher

Re: Head Sail Traveller

Specifically, do you position cars forward of the middle stanchion or aft of the primary winch?

On our early JR C026, the track is only from about 6" forward of the stanchion just forward of the primary winch to about a foot aft of the stanchion aft of the shrouds.  I rarely use the forward 1/3 of this short track!  If you went right back to the winch it would have a really bad lead angle, but it is good to have a bit of extra track for strength past the furthest point you ever use.

I have found a photo and scaled off it in comparison with the aft window which I recently measured for replacement, so I know my track is about 32" long.  5 foot starting from by the winch will be more than adequate. 

As we have roller reefing, we tend to use most of the  aft 2/3 of the track length.  Our small, high footed roller reefing jib has a pennant at the tack to make its lead angle about the same as the Genoa when both are fully out.

For down wind work if I can't or don't want to fly the spinny, I will usually pole out the jib with the spinny pole and sheet, which is far more effective than a track that extends further aft. I use an extra sheet so I can quickly tack or gybe with the pole left out the wrong side if I cast it off.

Thanks Ian -- that's great!

5 (edited by Virago Deb 2011-07-14 17:12:46)

Virago is 1985 JJT model and the tracks go from aft of the primary winches all the way to well beyond the forward lower shouds  - easily half the length of the boat I'd say (the middle half).  I still use hank-on sails and in the range of sails from storm jib to drifter I use all the track from aft of the winches (drifter) to just aft of the upper shrouds.  Nothing forward of the upper shrouds (cap shrouds) so far.   If you use a roller furled sail you may get away with a short track, and if you are going to use a short track you could consider adding fixed blocks where needed for a storm sail should you find you want one.

Just add tack pennants for smaller sails that would have sheeting positions uncomfortably close to the forward end of the track.  With modern easy to splice Vectran, Dyneema or Spectra hollow braid easily available, each sail that needs it can have an individual tack pennant permanently spliced on with little risk of chafe or damage in the bag. Don't forget to fit a hank or small shackle right at the tack to transfer the foot tension to the forestay.  Roller furling sails need a slug here or a very well attached  boltrope that extends down the pennant.  If you are getting a storm jib, it should NOT have a pennant, but should instead have a very high cut foot so it doesn't need one. Talk to your sailmaker!

For ghosters etc. just use the spinny sheets and turning blocks right aft.  They will set better with the lighter sheets anyway.  Lead angle can then be controlled with twingers on the sheets led through the genoa fairleads on the tracks or through blocks on any convenient strong point outboard of the primaries (my preference as the jib sheets are in one piece with a quick release at the clew)  to the spinny winches, while the sheets are handled on the primaries.

A pair of really good high load snatch blocks with positive locking gates would be useful.  Alternatively (or as well)  keeping clip on plain blocks permanently threaded on a pair of sheets that can be used for pole guys, preventers, twingers etc. Obviously you then need to  add padeyes forward and aft of the track ends and anywhere else an  extra strongpoint is needed, but it is cheaper, neater when not in use, less prone to walking off is some thief's pocket, and also as quick if not quicker to rig than permanently mounted 'idle' blocks for some or all of these duties.   Don't cheapen out the end fittings on those sheets. If you cant afford really good light high load ones, it is better to have a pair of over size plastic thimbles (as used for eye splices) you can tie bowlines round when used as twingers and tie the sheets on for all the other applications.