1 (edited by Virago Deb 2011-07-08 18:22:52)

Topic: Removing head and replacing with porta-pottie - follow up, please.

Using the search function (who knew??) I found a thread where rbporter and Golliwobbler were discussing the removal of the head and subsequent replacement with a porta-pottie.  As I am now pondering the same operation, I'd like to know how it all ended up.  Did anyone manage to get a solid mount for a pottie?  If so, do share.  I'd dearly love to do a headectomy on Virago, but I have to have some sort of loo on board to be legal in home waters.  At this point I'm considering using the notch in the V-berth as I sleep on a quarterberth and would not be right on top of a pottie should one go there.  Someone had submitted a picture of a square pottie wedged diagonally into said space and laced down with myriad bungees - how's that working?

Re: Removing head and replacing with porta-pottie - follow up, please.

Varuna has a porta-pottie that sits on a simple square plywood base mounted level where the old head was.  It works fine and is completely smell-free if you use the blue formaldehyde stuff in it... lasts about 2 weeks for two people if you don't pee in it.  Emptying the pottie can be a hassle, as they, uh, tend to splash when you empty them into a toilet ashore....sucking them out at a pump out station is neater.  I dump mine in the woods when I get back home.  When in the ICW in Florida two years ago, a boat roared up with three state cops who boarded one after another of us to inspect our sewage systems for overboard discharges and unlocked Y-valves, but when they got to little me and I said Varuna had a porta-pottie, they didn't even bother to come aboard.  Good luck.