Topic: Solid fuel heater or other??

Has anyone tried the Dickenson, or other, solid fuel (charcoal or wood) heater?  Any feedback? 
I am still searching for the heater that would be perfect for the arctic environment, which would have to be installed in the starboard bulkhead, former space where the head used to be... I was told that with the sailboats side to side movement, that the regulators on the propane and diesal would have to be faced forward to maintain the flame, so, that means mounting it sideways....

Re: Solid fuel heater or other??

I have never used the dickenson solid fuel heater but I have a friend who owns a marine chandlery and I spend a lot of time in there and he has sold lots of them to people who do not have propane on there boat or are on a tight budget.  He says he has had nothing but positive feedback from customers who have bought them.  He has a working display in his store with one mounted beside the equivalent dickenson propane heater and they both seem to give off good heat.  There is no fan in the wood stove so the heat doesn't travel as well but you could always install a fan beside the stove.  If I didn't have propane on my boat and I was shoping for a heater I would personally go for a diesel fired heater but since they are about 3 or 4 times the price of the solid fuel heater it seems like it would be a pretty good alternative.

Hi Kristin.I,ve used a wood stove as the only heat sorce on four of five boats owned in the last twenty two years.My sailing friends and I would not have a boat without one  for the ambiance,utility comfort it provides for year round cruising.I burn mostly presto logs and fir bark I get off the beach.Gives you an excuse to go for a walk and on the west coast there is fuel every where.Beach wood is hard on the stove  and they aren't for everyone,a love em or hate em deal.A nice stove that you can set a kettle on is a rarity these days but very nice to have.The old Lunenberg stoves are being made again in Port townsend,Washington.Ihave a homemade stove,of decent design I bought for $150.Stainless pipe,a deck iron and smoke cap are about $350.The stainless surround is cut from scrap yard material,cheap and good looking.Lumber and plywood for quality material will run 2 to$300.so depending on the stove you use ,materials would be $800 to$1600 plus labour,free in my case.The biggest problem is finding a good spot.I decided to toss the starboard side ice box in favor of warm beer and a fire to warm my feet on,no regrets.Bill,Victoria

we have tons of beach coal and spruce wood here;  would have to mount in small space, so maybe the Dickenson would be appropriate...The lunenburg stoves look great...would hold lots more fuel for sure.

I would add to that,the Dickenson has a replacable liner now,good if you burn beach coal.I've seen people line a cast stove with chicken wire and cement to protect against corrosion.Even so they still last a long time.There are also some nice British stoves,Blakes might be one,and some funky folks build thier own.Bill