Topic: Farymann won't shut down

The 27 year old Farymann 18W (began life as a 15W) single cylinder diesel that is the auxiliary power for my equally aging Contessa 26’ sailboat has been rebuilt twice and generally provides reliable power.

It has recently taken on a new and difficult to manage bad habit.  It refuses to shut down when the lever is pulled.

I have checked and/or reset every adjustment listed in the service manual to no avail.   

The Bosch PFR 1K injector pump is providing fuel at the correct timing and the throttle gives a smooth idle and a healthy cruising speed.

I am wondering if it is possible that the rack on the injection pump begins to fail by not shutting off the fuel supply when asked to do so by the control.

Any thoughts on this frustrating problem would be appreciated.

Robin
Nanaimo

2 (edited by john_co26 2011-09-04 16:01:10)

Re: Farymann won't shut down

robin

By the tone of your post I suspect that you know more about these engines than I do but with that said, my farymann engine is shut down by pulling the "choke" lever out. As far as  I know this shuts down the air supply to the engine, not fuel. Could it be that engine is still receiving air when you try to shut it down?
I have read that a run away diesel engine can be shut down by covering the air intake, starving the engine of air. Does this relate to your problem? not the run away engine part, the supply of oxygen.
perhaps an adjustment on your shut -off lever is in order, if you have not done so already.

John

John,

Thanks for your input on my shut down problem.

This morning, in desperation, I did a reset on the governor setting.  As no work had been done recently to these parts of the engine I had little confidence this would have any effect on the situation.  To my grateful amazement when the acceleration lever was pushed into the stop position the engine obediently shut down.

Just in passing, there is no control that limits or closes off air intake on these tiny units.

Robin

Hey Robin

Good to hear you got your problem sorted out. I am curious, if the shut-off lever does not kill the engine by restricting air supply how does it shut the engine down? Restricting fuel supply?

Clearly I am going to have to dig around my little diesel thumper next time I am at the boat.

John

Hi John,

The acceleration lever (throttle) moved in one direction tells the high pressure fuel pump to give the injector more fuel (higher revs) and in the other direction to deliver no fuel (no revs).  The governor maintains the engine rpm's through a feedback system.

Cheers,
Robin