Topic: Chain plates

On the J.J Taylors you can see that the anchors are tabbed to the hull liner,but is the core bonded to the hull.Is this an area that would benefit from additional reinforcementBill,Victoria

Re: Chain plates

I believe there is no core so that should not be an issue.  I have never heard of any problems with the chainplates other then being leaky.

Bill, does your 82 have a liner?  The way to tell is around the chainplates: if there is a liner you will see a covering over the chainplates, inside the head covering the hoses, and you will have little cupboards in galley covering chainplates.
Mark is right, there is no core in hull itself, just some on deck.  So, you will have hull, bulkheads, and either no liner or liner...you will also have dividing areas between underneath settees and galley area, for example.  These should be glassed/tabbed, as they are structural/support members.
(Oh, heavens, I talk more than I know, but I read alot, and learned from my surveyor and others much wiser than me! ;D  )

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

My boat definetly has a liner.I'll see if I can be a little clearer.If the chain plate anchors are part of the hull liner,why are they tabbed.It looks like they could be part of or tabbed to the hull first then tabbed to the liner.If so they would be quite strong.If they are just part of the liner maybe they can be improved.The tools and glass are on the boat right now so I would like to make all the dirty ,smelly,itchy improvements at the same time.Bill

Chainplate support knees are tabbed/glassed over right to inner hull itself.  I have a picture of mine, and the chainplates  are definitely right through deck, bolted against the knees, and knees are glassed over right along hull.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I don't believe they are tabbed to liner, as I stuck my hand right up, and mirror too, and except for a little strip at top that may indeed be tabbed to prevent liner flexing.

O.K.,thanks.I will have to find something else to stress about.

So, Bill, did you goop more glass on?!  I would think it would tend to get quite messy?
I would think if you gooped to liner, you would then not be able to access toe-rail bolts, and rub-rail rivest, etc. from inside.  Not a huge loss, but an inconvenience if you wanted to check/rebed, etc.

I came down with a chest cold on the weekend,so its postponed a couple of days.Some people will  come down with anything to avoid glass work.Things will actuallly be more accessible,a plus and I will be adding a little  beef to this high load area though the boat is showing no signs of distress.I do notice an unfair spot along the cove stripe near the port forward lower shroud which has puzzled me.That shroud is to tight but I am not ready to go over the rig yet and you know once you touch any thing yer going to have to fix something.

It could be from when they lift the boat out of water...I always hate the stress of lift and seeing the slings press so hard on the  hull!
Also, there can be an  unfair spot along bulkheads where they abut the hull, I have noticed.

I don't know if the rig is robust enough to distort hull?!  I hope not, or I will stress about that....

Funny you got a chest cold before a big job!  Your body telling you "do...not....go.....work....on.....the.....boat......"
Some things are truly best left for another day....as you are right, if you touch point A,  the to do list will grow four times the space between you and the boat area you touch...