Topic: Folding table

I built a new table for my contessa afew months ago and it has worked out well.It slides fore and aft on the berth rail,and folds down out of the way.Itmounts and removes instantly to stow in the quarter berth space.It is also very simple to build,with a minium of tools.Bill

Re: Folding table

Hi Bill,
Hey, I know which boat you bought!  I saved all the pics when I saw her for sail and they had a bunch of pics on Yachtworld  She seemed pretty nice, and a newer one at that.

Please send me pics of your table. 

I set something simple up for mine, used the nice teak table that came with the boat, put it on removable hinges, butted against galley edge, and tucked up against back of setee, port side, with a fold-down 3/4" thick x 8"x10" support  that just fits inside berth rail.  It really extends the galley countertop nicely, and also gives an area underneath table to store my extra sweater/jacket/bag while sailing, as the wide support prevents anything from hitting the sole when she heels, but is still immediately accessible & safe.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I'ii get a friend to snap some pics of the table and send them.Do they go to the site.I heard the term for my computer skills the other day:technically disinclined.It could take a couple of weeks.

I meant to mention I was tied up next to the Coba in Victoria around maybe 1984.A guy named George lived on her.I thought it was a pretty sweet boat.I still do.

SHannon, some pics of yours would be great, too!

Actually, could both of you send pics to me?  Thanks ever so much!

I'm trying to post some photos,soon.Bill

Hmm, there is a George with a Contessa out here, but not sure if his is for sale...Two Contessas with Georges?!  Well, I guess it would be like the Mark/Marcs!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Or send me the pictures and I'll put them up in a tech note.

Any pics of the tables, yet??

There in my friends computer just hav'ent had time togo back and send them.Soon.

any pics from this yet?

I sent them to Adrian to do up in a tech note.Maybe I can fidgure out how to send them to you.The problem is I just don't how to send them here.    Bill

I'm working on the tech note. Sorry for the delay guys!

Ok, Bill looks way too talented with wood!   I always think I am, then I do something, or see someone else's work and I have to hang my head...

Thanks Shannon.A rude  version would work as  well.By the way,I glued trim on the wrong side of a bulkhead tonight.Bill(ge)

And thanks for posting those photos Adrian.I will check out one of those photo posting sites if I have more,rather than leaning on every one else.Thanks again...Bill

Too bad about the trim, Bill!  I certainly hope I didn't jinx you?! ;-D  And my table is cèrtainly a rude version compared to yours!
I am looking for some veneer for the rim of my hanging locker round "doorway".  Does one just get some from....a...woodshop??  A hardware store??  Ideas?!

I have seen that stuff,and it may be called edge banding.A cabinet shop or hi-grade lumber store would carry it almost for sure.In Victoria ,Windsor Plywood is where I would call;don't know if you have  those on the mainland.Good Luck.I noticed the mistake before the glue had set saving many hours of work and grumbling.As they say ,if you do nothing you will never make a mistake,and boy have I made a lot of them....Bill(ge)

Shannon,
In Vancouver, the closest source I have found for edgebanding in several varieties of wood is Windsor Plywood, located on West 7th Avenue (at Fir).   You could also try PJ White Hardwoods (Kent St.) or Absolutely Hardwoods in New Westminster.   Let me know how you make out.

Varuna has a table  made out of 3/8" teak plywood (very light) that fits in two locations to use either as a chart table or an eating table.  The chart table position is over the port berth under the electric panel.  It is sized to take a Maptech Chartbook.  The table stores at the foot of the berth under the cockpit.  In the eating table position, it is mounted over the companionway steps and works brilliantly as long as you don't want to step outside in the middle of dinner, although it lifts off immediately if need be.  I've uploaded three photos to the gallery to show how well it works.   Note the battery position under the steps in one of the photos... Tania's doing that seems to work well.

Sam