Topic: Repowering with a Beta Marine 13.5

I planning to repower my boat with a Beta Marine 13.5. I use to have a Kubota 0C60-E and while the motor got me from Toronto to NY,  6.5 HP is just not powerful enough. Had a few scary experiences trying to tie up to my mooring in high winds and against large waves this summer. I'm also planning to sail up to Maine next summer and would like the security of a stronger motor.

The 13.5 seems to be a popular choice for the Contessa. I would love to hear from anyone who has this motor. Any tips, prop size recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Repowering with a Beta Marine 13.5

The previous owner of my Contessa had a BETA 13.5 installed in 2006 to motor the intercoastal. I am very satisfied with the performance. I knew very little about diesels and called Beta Marine for advice on winterizing and to order parts. Mr. Stan at Beta Marine NC , importer of the BETA motor, knows his product inside out and willingly gives valuable advice. I strongly suggest you browse the BETA Marine site for more info and give Mr. Stan a call. My boat is not accessible at the moment and I didn't note the prop size. It is a 3-blade  which I presume replaced the 2-blade that I found in a compartement. You are right is paying close attention to the choice of the prop. I read in another forum of someone who had to have his new prop repitch after having said that his hull speed was 7 knots. You can google «prop pitch calculator» and simmer that info with other advice. As for your keel I wouldn't be overly worried. There is a lot of material in that area and not in a high stress area...I'd be more worried about the fin keels that followed in your wake. Good luck

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

3 (edited by bernard 2011-11-07 16:15:47)

Thank you very much for your reply on both issues. I gave my local boatyard my official go ahead to install the Beta. Good to know there is a reliable Beta resource.

Now all I have to do is make it through this winter!

I'd be curious to know how well this engine fits. 

Is there going to be room to spare, or will serious modifications have to be made?

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

5 (edited by bernard 2011-11-08 20:38:31)

I'm planning to document the installation with photos which I'll post in the galleries....