Topic: Thought excercise: If the Contessa 26...

If the Contessa 26 were to go back into production, and you were given the oppourtunity to suggest changes, what changes would you suggest? Pretty much anything goes, with the exception of the keel configuration and the general length of the boat (it still has to be marketed as a Contessa 26, after all). Obviously it should retain the classic look and sailing characteristics that make us love it so.

I'd suggest for sure:

- a sliding companionway, which would then make possible ;
- a bridge deck in the cockpit,
- a reconfigured anchor locker on the foredeck, as the current one impinges on footroom in the v-berth,
- a cabin-top traveller, to get the mainsheet out of the cockpit,
- move the fuel tank to a lower, more central location

Things I'd like to see drawings of:

- make the boat 9 inches longer ( 26'3" is still a Contessa 26!),
- making the cabin 12 inches longer,
- adding 6 to 9 inches to the beam of the boat,
- reconfigure at least one of the quarter berths to to allow one (or both) to be proper open berths, which would then make it possible to slide it (or both) open into a double, and also makes possible pipe berths overtop the berths (hey, I have three kids, and they take up a lot of space),
- move the gallery to the aft of the cabin, similar to the configuration of an Alberg 30,
- increase cabin height by just an inch or two over its entire length, or step the cabin-top similar to an Alberg 29 (very mild step in cabin profile)

Things to consider:

- Building the boat out of aluminum

Re: Thought excercise: If the Contessa 26...

A great question Adrian, with that said I have to disagree with you on one point that is the idea of a sliding companion way. The solid hump or bubble entry way is one of the features I like about  my boat. It does the following
Adds to the clean line of the boat
Provides a solid deck
Contributes to a more water tight cabin

I can certainly see how many would disagree with me, but personally I say keep it the way it is.

As to what I would like to see changed, a couple of things.
1) A thru deck, keel stepped mast, although cabin size may prevent this. Many of the older
    Co26’s I have seen have soft decks in part, I believe, because of the deck stepped mast.
2) Larger hardware ie winches cleats etc
3) A larger(more powerful) less noicy engine
4) I agree that a deck accessed anchor locker would be a step in the right direction.

5) This last point gets away from your question but I would love to see the same basic boat, keeping its
    relative dimensions but at least 2-3 feet longer. This would  provide for a truly solid single handed
    ocean crossing boat , I have never used mine to cross  an ocean but I suspect it’s small cabin size
    (storage) and overall weight, as it is currently, would be its weak spot.  In other words something to
    match up against the old pearson triton or the alberg 30.

John from Kingston

This is the boat I chose and it's a pretty sweet design.The build quality should be as good.I would like to see some crown in the deck:it's stronger that way and it would shed water,a major oversight.A titch more sheer aft and a bolted inward turning deck flange would be nice.I understand the economics but I am not hot on molded hull liners.They make it real hard to alter the boat to suit your needs,they're not pretty ,and you can't access many parts of the hull for inspection and emergencys,plus in the tropics you would have a built in cock roach hideaway.A smaller cockpit  and higher sill would be nice.More careful beddind of the hardware.Some real thought in the routing of hoses and wiring.Lastly ,I can't get the air cleaner off the engine which is accessed after the removal 16 or so bolts.There must be a better way I.e. a commericial aluminum hatch with a recessed opening handle.That said I like it sort of like it is and I can work around these things.(except that air cleaner on the farryman.Please tell me it comes off.)

Some of the things mentioned were already incorporated into the newer model JJTs...

There is an anchor locker, deck accessable, with an overboard drain...
Hardware was upgraded somewhat, in that an anchor roller and a second substantial foredeck cleat were added and the cabin ports were all upgraded to quality metal opening ones...
The cabintop "hump" was extended a bit...
I believe the liner mold was changed to lower the sole slightly for a bit more headroom, but not positive on this one...
The ventilation was improved by adding the midships hatch...
Tankage was moved lower, from beneath settees to an integral keel tank...

While I like the structural/strength contributions of no sliding hatch, I too would prefer a QUALITY sliding hatch WITH A SEA HOOD, as this would allow a bridgedeck or at least a 10-12" sill in the companionway.  I see the lack of any sill or bridgedeck as one of the biggest minuses of the Contessa design.

I'd like to see a good traveler on the aft deck.  I'm not sure there's room with a dodger (and possibly a midships hatch) to get decent leverage on the boom with a cabintop traveler.  Sheeting that close to the mast leads to either more parts in the mainsheet purchase, or bigger diameter lines and a bigger winch, plus the whole issue of strengthening the cabintop...

I'd like to bolt the cockpit sole down securely (but not permanently) and add a large access hatch to get at the stuffing box, reverse gear, control cables and the aft side of the engine in general.  I am seriously considering this change myself.

I love a quarterberth at sea.  There's no place cozier to crawl into after watch, especially with a sea running.  Got to have at least one.

This idea is pure speculation and might not work for everyone (especially Adrian's family wink ) but I'd like to see the Contessa not pretend to be a big boat but capitalize on her strengths as a solid offshore boat for one or two.  Eliminate the V berth and use the space for a decent wet locker, a head, and storage.  Move the galley aft to the port side of the companionway, with a quarterberth on the stbd side.  (This would give a bigger cockpit locker portside as well).  Two settees (bunks) with bunkboards fitted) in the salon midships, one of which could slide out to a double in port.  How about a a fold down chart table above the quarterberth or over the aft end of the stbd settee?  Maybe a sturdy table that drops down from the fwd bulkhead?

That will certainly stir up some thoughts!  Maybe Cody will come up with a creative interior for his boat as he's got an empty hull to start with!

I'm all about the inward facing, thru bolted hull deck joint.  How about a coremat vacuum bagged deck, all one peice....  That'd be alright.  A bit more thought into the engine compartment - make it easier to insulate from the inside.  Basically build the boat to more 'modern' standards.......   If they built a boat today that had the same layup sched as my 74, they'd go broke or the boat would cost a half million dollars (petrochemical prices....)  .  There's more glass and resin in the hull alone than there is entirely in most 'modern' 30 footers.

Bilgeret, My boat also came with the standard 152 screws holding down the engine hatch cover. I converted to a system that my father used on the Contessa he used to own (hull #61). It only requires 3 bolts to be undone to remove the entire hatch. Since I always keep a coreless drill on board, I only takes about 20 seconds to remove it. But since I installed the new Yanmar it does not need removed in emergency mode anymore. I will post some photos in the spring if you are interested. It is really not too difficult of a modification.

Thanks seeadler,I'm definetly curious to see a better design for that cover.

We have somewhere between 12 and 18 screws that hold down the cockpit sole. It's a bit of a trial to get at the engine, but more because I have to find somewhere convenient to store the cockpit grate and panel.

I too love the hump, and am raising my bridge deck by putting in the lower teak board with an inch or two shaved off it.  So, it's a tight fit in and out, but keeps me limber and young! Hah!   
And yes, the 83s and later have deck anchor locker, etc...
I would make the battery area water-tight.
I would have a hinged storage behind settee backs, and enclosed areas above settee, like they do in galley areas around chainlates on later models.
I woud have left the lazarette locker as it was on Rogers boats: cockpit was smaller that way.
I would have utilized dead space in forward bow area.
I too wish for quicker engine hatch removal (but still watertight...how do we do that?!)
One more set of scuppers
And lastly, I too agree on hull/deck joint: quality thru-bolts and a perfect flange.  No cheapening out there.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”