Topic: Dinghy..

any recommendations on a good dinghy that fits the Contessa?

Re: Dinghy..

It's pretty tough to squeeze a dinghy on to the contessa.The foredeck is the place but would make sail changes and anchoring difficult and maybe even dangerous.There may also be a problem heaving the boat to with that much windage forward.The room avaliable between the mast and companionway is shorter than any dink I know of.For now I am resigned to towing and maybe getting a rubber kayak or building a folding boat.I have a 6 foot dink ,about 35 pounds ,variously referred to as a Haida,Booth or Bosun.In truth I think it is a haida built by John Booth in Victoria and sold by Bosun's Locker.They used to be common around here before the invasion of the rubber boats.

I have a good inflatable kayak and pump, but want something to take a few more people to shore!  There is a  Sea Eagle that looks interesting, inflatable with foldable floor boards....will keep researching! They have kayaks, too..check it out! Thanks!

I have a 8 foot inflatable that is very good.  I always tow it which is not the ideal situation but after towing over 2000 miles last summer I decided that it isn't too bad either.  I like the inflatable because it is safe entering and exiting and it is stable with multiple people in it.  I also use it to store light things in that take up a lot of space on board when traveling like crab traps.  If I deflate it it can easily be stored down below but pumping it up takes about 10 minues.  It is also nice when it is tied up next to the mother ship at anchor you don't need to worry about putting out fenders because there is no damage done when it bumps the hull.  The only downside I can think of is that it is not very fun to row but with a small outboard it will plane with 1 person in it no problem.

The hard dinghy bashing the hard boat all night gets old quick,however I still prefer them because they can be rowed ,a sublime act in my book.(read quiet).They can also be dragged over barnacles and such with some impunity and best of all ,Mine was $200. in perfect condition,with oars,Wow.I pull mine into the cockpit at night,or sometimes on to the fore deck.Works really well.

I am also on the lookout for a dinghy that will fit (while fully inflated and ready to go) on the foredeck of a CO26. I see that the smallest  Bombard (their AX1) measures 6' - 7" long by 45" wide and weighs in at 33lbs but I do not know if it will fit on the foredeck when fully inflated. They go for about $1000 new. I am unable to check the fit because right now my Contessa is in Tobermory ON and i live in Toronto. Anyone with experience with the Bombard AX1 or other make that size?

My 8.5 foot dinghy will fit on the foredeck however it weighs about 80 pounds and there is no room up there when i haul it on deck.  I bought it brand new in november 2004 off ebay from a supplier in the USA for $650.  It was made by mercury quicksilver with a plywood floor and 5 yr warranty.  No problems whatsoever so far.  They do make a smaller model but i think any smaller would be too small and you could not transport more than 2 people in it.

We purchased an Achilles LT-2 inflatable dinghy two seasons ago.  After two seasons with this dinghy, we really like it and it has served very well as a tender for our coastal cruising uses. 

Dimensions are:  Length: 7' 4", Beam: 4.0', Weight: 40lbs,  Load Cap: 690 lbs.  Tube diameter is 13".  Two inflatable chambers. 

Advantages: Relatively light and holds two adults comfortably;  Inflates and deflates easily and quickly and is easily stored in its carry bag.   I have found the dinghy quite secure and stable, even two people aboard in rougher water. 

Disadvantages:  I would not want to row long distances in this dinghy, especially against a stronger headwind or tide. ( Note:  A small outboard of 2-3hp would probably be a help when using it in larger/more exposed anchorages).   Also, one needs to be more careful than with a hard dinghy on rocky shores/beaches.

Since the dinghy is a continuous tube, including the transom, this dinghy does not have self-bailing capability, from the factory.   When towing the LT-2 in rougher weather, the wind can blow it around quite a bit (even against the hull).  Also, water spray or rain can accumulate in the dinghy, making it heavy and hard to tow and very difficult to lift/drain out the water.   We have avoided this, by: 1) having the dinghy tied upside down on the foredeck on shorter passages, or 2) deflating and stowing the dinghy, either on the foredeck or below, when making longer passages in rougher weather.  Since it can be quickly inflated and deflated/stowed (<10 minutes, each way), this is not usually a problem.

When I sail solo I actually bring a kayak along for a dinghy.  It's great fun for exploring as well as going ashore.  I lash it to the stantions forward for a short hop, and on a passage I just stuff it up forward in the V-berth and secure it.  Keeps the foredeck clear and uncluttered.  Of course this only works if you're alone!

I also have a hard dinghy that I built that I really like.  It's pretty easy to build a rowing pram using stitch & glue construction (tack & tape, or whatever you call it).  Two weekends and you can have yourself a nice inexpensive dinghy that you built yourself!  Even more fun is to mock it up with cardboard panels from a refrigerator box to get the shape you like, and then use the cardboard as templates for the plywood.  That way you can be the naval architect too!  Of course there are plenty of plans and patterns available for small dinghies...

10 (edited by boat4web 2006-03-21 16:28:19)

I have a 6.5' Avon inflatable: I keep it  rolled up in cockpit locker: easy to get to and use and store!  I don't like anything on my decks, not even dirt! ;D

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Good day!

I have been considering a small Porta Bote for my Contessa.  My plan was to have it slung against the lifelines adjacent to the cockpit so that it would appear (hopefully!) like a weather cloth.

While not pretty to look at, the Porta Bote seems to be a reasonable dinghy compromise for our boats.

Christopher

Well, I found a 9' Zodiac on Amazon.com for $999 with a fold up floor and inflatable keel.  It is about 70 lbs and rolls up nicely.  Drawbacks, no easy rowing, need a small outboard, but here in Alaska, we like to go up lots of streams and into little shallow bays, so my inflatable kayak will be when just for me!  Will let you know how it works out.  Meanwhile, today is the big launch date!!!  Send us some good energy, this is all brand new and a big, big first  (and really scary). We will drop in from a sling and make our way to the harbor, after playing around a bit, you know!!

Hi Kristin,

I know exactly how you feel and I totally envy you right now.  While having sailed for over ten years as both skipper and crew on much bigger boats, there's a particular satisfaction in owning your own vessel.  In this case, I acquired the sailboat that I've been dreaming about for years which is, of course, a Contessa 26.  I hope your launch today was a success.  I hope that your engine started without much suspense and everything else in its rightful place (water outside dry bilge inside) and I hope that you're feeling the way I'm imagining myself feeling a week from this Saturday.  Have a great season and keep the passion.

José Crespo

p.s. Hey! Why does Alaska go in the water before Port Credit, Ontario?!!!  ;-)  Just kidding!

The first launch is the best feeling ever!

I was lucky to find a used 10 foot 6 inch portabote for $500. West Marine has them new for $1,200. Biggest dinghy possible for my Contessa. It folds up to the size of a surfboard and stows between the safety lines and the doghouse with thwarts, transom and oars all lashed inside. Folded, keel down, it never fills with water.. I can assemble it crosswise on the bow in 10-12 minutes, shove it in the water and hand by hand it around to the stern to lift my Nissan 3.5 outboard off a plastic mount on the stern pulpit. It has enough "V" in the bottom to row well.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!