Topic: removing and rebedding forward deck hatch - anyone done it?

Planning to remove and rebed forward deck hatch.  Has anyone out there done this job already that might tell me if there are any gaskets or such that I need to have on hand before I start?  Or is it a simple remove, goop and replace project?  It's not the kind of thing I want to leave out for a month while I wait for parts!

2 (edited by cPaul 2012-05-08 12:22:22)

Re: removing and rebedding forward deck hatch - anyone done it?

I replaced my tired leaking hatch a couple of years ago.   After removing the hatch (and copious amounts of old goop), it became evident that the job could have been a simple matter of re-bedding the existing cast frame, and having a new acrylic hatch made, and fitting proper gasket-replacements.  Instead, I opted for a new hatch, sourcing a Bomar with a bit larger/modern fit & function.   Interestingly, my old hatch will be eventually installed on Christopher Olsen's Contessa 26, and his hatch frame dimensions are different again. 

There were no gaskets between the deck and the hatch.  It was all goop.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

And the reason I am bothering to replace my factory Vetus hatch is that the rubber dogs which secure it closed have long since failed and are no longer available.  I do not see a tidy way to the hatch closed unfortunately. 

If someone has figured out a solution I am all ears as I would prefer to not disturb the hatch.

Christopher

Cheap and cheerful!   Nice solution.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC