Topic: Where to put filters and strainers

Good day all!

I had a long conversation with a marine mechanic who strongly encouraged me to go ahead and install a new fuel filter. 

Logic says put the filter in front of the engine at the companionway steps so that it can be accessed at sea without raising the cockpit panel.  Unfortunately, the new filter is huge and this solution is not practical.

I have the same problem with the bronze sea strainer I purchased -- it is just too big to go where it is needed.

I've seen that some owners have given up and just mounted these components in the engine compartment for access from above.  This seems inelegant to me and I wondered if anyone out there has worked out a better solution.

With respect to the raw water strainer, were it placed in the engine compartment with vertical access, then the distance between the seacock (near the batteries) and the strainer becomes very long.

The ideal would be visual and hand access from inside the cabin. 

Any solutions out there? 

Christopher

Re: Where to put filters and strainers

I used a back handed solution. I put a quick release mechanism on my cockpit engine hatch, so it is not such a hassle to get to the engine area. Still not a nice as a quick peek from under the stairs.

Thanks for this.  I am just about resigned to do the same but wondered if there was a better option.

Happy sailing!

Christopher

My CAV/Delphi 296 fuel filter is bulkhead mounted beside the 1GM10 engine on the starboard side.  It *can* be accessed from the front at sea, but the access is very tight so you need something like a heavy polythene bag to put over it to catch spilled diesel as getting a can under it to drain it is a 'harbour only' operation.

It is far more critical to mount the water filter somewhere sensible as you need access underway to clear any blockage so cant realistically expect to be able to lift the cockpit sole.   A small watertight hatch directly over the filter might be an option if ALL other locations have been ruled out. 

As I am lucky enough to have a modified layout with the galley next to the companionway, the bronze strainer is simply directly screwed onto the seacock under the galley sink.  There is no intake grille and it is a ball valve seacock so any obstruction can simply be rodded out with a length of 1/2" dowel.

Thanks Ian!  I had forgotten that I intended an extra ball valve so that I could flush out the through-hull.

Did you post pics of your Contessa?  I am curious about your modified layout.  I spent hours and hours trying to figure out how to efficiently convert one of the quarter berths into a dinette but was never satisfied that there would be enough room for heads and shoulders.

Cheers!

Christopher

Thanks for this!  Very interesting.

I am going to ask my question in a different way:

How often do you find that your boat suffers from a clogged strainer or fuel filter?  I have experienced one clogged fuel filter (that took hours to diagnose as flow through the filter was not completely blocked) in more than a decade with this boat. 

I am just wondering if I am over analyzing what is probably an extremely rare event.

Do you have a story?  Share it here!  smile

Christopher