Topic: Ventilation -- what would you recc?

Re: Ventilation -- what would you recc?

Hi! 
My 1984 has a vent above galley on stbd. side.  Post 1983 boats also have a 2nd hatch aft of the mast...a big help.
Plus, I keep both hatches always cracked or open, (except when underway) as I am fanatical about ventilation - and it will help with condensation, as our little boats can close up quite tightly.  Get a canvas square of material and tie over the hatch to keep rain out and have privacy while enjoying vital fresh air, night and day.

When you say above the closet, you mean in the deck, forward of mast,  between head and hanging locker?  That sounds like a good spot, but maybe too close to foredeck hatch. 

Overall, I would suggest installing a 2nd hatch above galley (where the later boats have it)  You want airflow, that will stop condensation: read Roger MacAfee's book "the Warm Dry Boat".  It's all true!  ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Installing a second hatch above the galley is a little more involved than installing a vent.  I was considering installing a hatch there but the deck is not flat and it would be a significant amount of work to make it look good so I haven't yet. maybe this yr.  I have a vent above my galley but the vent is not very watertight.  When I have green water over the deck water drips down onto my stove.  The solar vents with fan cost about 220 bucks but you can buy a nice lewmar vent for about 40, that closes to be water tight.  I would definately look at the lewmar vents.

My experience suggests that getting air moving from end to end of the boat will keep the boat dryest.I'm not positive how it works but if there is one wet place in a poorly ventilated boat ,the whole vessel is affected.That midship hatch is a wonderful thing,a must have.The biggest challenge ia assembling and scribing the wooden base to fit.Burma teak is almost as expensive as a hatch,at $22.a board foot on the west coast,but anyone brave enough to cut a hole in the roof should have no problem putting saw to teak.It's hard to go over board on this ventilation thing,a much under talked about subject.

I installed a vent much like yours in the portside roof right over my galley sink. The vent came with a plastic insert I can slip in during rain or green water coming over the coachroof but the location over the sink contains any rainwater that leaks through and goes right down the sink drain.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!